Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm usually pretty good at figuring stuff out, but this one has be stumped
I replaced my speed sensor thinking that was the problem but it wasn't also replaced the gauge cluster along with the little gear inside the tranny the damn thing still doesnt work. Neither does the cruise control and the ecs is blinking now these things just stopped working at the same
Time

Any help will be greatly appreciated

· Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
18,350 Posts
Check fuse #11 under the dash

Bob.

· <3's lapping days
3,896 Posts
the ring gear on the differential might be stripped/worn. This gear drives the plastic gear attached to the end of the cable.

Sounds like the fuse though.

· Registered
1,180 Posts
Make sure you bought the right speedometer gear for your transmission also. I bought all three before I found one that worked lol (mine happened to be a first gen speedometer gear that was needed though my car is a 94) They are all slightly different and that difference certainly matters.

· Registered
1,180 Posts
Hopefully the fuse is your problem, easy fix there!

Also, like you, I ordered the part number off stealth316 before realizing that it wasn't for my car, so that was mistake initially, then ordered the part number for my car, and it was wrong as well. Finally ordered the only one left (the first gen FAT gear) and it worked a treat.

· Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have all three as well, I'm positive it's not the gear. I checked the fuse 11 is for the dome light, which is working just fine but I replaced it any way. still no luck though .I'm thinking the speedo is bad. i got anotherone on the way

· Registered
1,364 Posts
I had a 90 Daytona that did that i would smack the dash just above the speedo and it would work again.

· Registered
254 Posts
I had to take mine to a Mitsubishi specialized "electro-repair" shop, if you will. AFAIK, all my cables were a tangled mess and rats had eaten the soul of my speedo. In any case, my ATX broke down again, and I'm kissing electronic speedos and ATX's goodbye.

· Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
18,350 Posts
I have all three as well, I'm positive it's not the gear. I checked the fuse 11 is for the dome light, which is working just fine but I replaced it any way. still no luck though .I'm thinking the speedo is bad. i got anotherone on the way
Sorry, I was just checking the circuit diagram for the speedo and noticed that fuse was there.....

Bob. :)

· Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pulled the tranny to install a new XTD clutch, yeah I said XTD because the SB did'nt work like it should have so I'm trying my luck with what i had in the first place.

My Speedo issue was due to the gear inside of the tranny not being seated right. I should be good to go now.

· Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Checked the fuse and that wasn't it, it's the same fuse for the dome light by the way. What I did find was that the gear on the Diff is moving freely, so I pulled the tranny and it pops into two small notches, I put it back in and it came back out so I'm thinking I need a new gear but can't seem to find the part number for it. Does anyone know where I can find this number.. the mitsu dealer couldn't find it either. I'm thinking it comes attached to the diff. if that's the case I'm going to just put an OBX lsd in it since it has the gear attached. Any thoughts or suggestions?

· Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
anyone know anything about this ebay item? 3000GT STEALTH AWD 5spd OUTPUT SHAFT/COUPLER KIT

the seller says it's the same as the 300MM shafts but made out of different material. I figure since I got it out I may as well go in and replace that too. it show's a little wear.

· Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, guys I need some more help. I changed that speedo gear and still nada!! it's still not working, also my fuel gauge reads full all the time as well. I'm thinking this is all tied in.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
72 Posts
Benson... Other than the speedo is not working are you getting a MAP sensor code (P1400)? Because I have the same problem as yours with speedo and P1400 error due to connetor for MAP and Speedo was swapped when the mechanic put em together. We just swapped em again everything works good.
Good luck....

· 3/S owner since 2003.
3,241 Posts
I don't know if that is possible in your case, but what if it is as simple as you not installing the cluster right? I have removed mine many times and I have noticed that if I don't slide it in the right way, certain things would not work on it... Just take it out and put it back in and see if that would change anything. It is an easy thing to do so you can't lose anything...

· Registered
72 Posts
Just unplug MAP sensor and Speedo connector and swap them. and see what happen. I have mine running like that for about 2 weeks and one day I decided to swap it, and it work. It wont hurt to try.
Im on your same situation 2 weeks ago, and guess what I also end up with working 2 speedo gear and 2 speed sensor still on the box, both on working condition.
Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.