Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, it finally happened........... my first ticket, got lasered and nailed for doing 49 mph in a 35 mph, even though everyone was going the same speed, I was the lucky one.......... The officer cited me for 45 mph in a 30 mph, even though it it clear that the posted speed limit on that road is 35 mph. Do I have any kind of case here to get the ticket dismissed? What should I do here? I'm kinda new to all this........... I wanna fight it but not too sure how to go about it....... any help would be appreciated!!!

EDIT: The posted speed limit on that road is 35mph and the cop wrote it was 30mph?!?

·
1,568 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
i will take 2:D

wait what are you selling? SPEEDING TICKETS!!!:cussing:

j/k:p

yea, i think you should be able to get out of that easily. go to your court date, make sure you remember everything about the situation (what you were wearing, if there was a passenger, who was it and what were they wearing, what was the weather, the time, etc). then make sure you can call any witness that could be of assistance (passenger) and make sure you have verified proof of things like weather, time, and for gods sakes, the speed limit there. he must have written the place where you were pulled over right? he has allready screwed up big on that and you can nail him on it. there is a good chance that the cop might not even show and your case will be dismissed alltogether. try to schedual a court date near a major holiday when they would be likely to be out of town if possible ;) .

then when you get off scott free, remember to not go 49 mph in a 35 mph zone again.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I make sure to always plee not guilty now. The DA offers a lesser sentence and if you still don't like your consiqences you can get a case, but be prepared to show doubt that he couldn't have gotten an accurate speed. I have always accepted the negotiation.

·
Supreme creator of stuff
3,573 Posts
my case

got 44 in a 35...yeah I know, don't bother with the lectures...it was 3.5 years ago.

Laser tagged...was hit while driving under powerlines...in the training manuals for the police it states that they are inaccurate under High voltage lines...not by much but enough to present a case.....I won...well sort of...the judge said and I quote her

"O.K. Mr. speedster, you have presented your case before the court and have showed everyone in my court how to beat the system....So how fast were you actually going?"

"I was doing no more than 40 you your honor"

not realizing what I just said and before I could think the ticket was dropped to 40 in a 35.....she told me flat out..."You should have said with the flow of traffic...right there, you just admitted to the crime and as a judge I must sentence you accordingly"

My jaw hit the floor......the winning lotto ticket whisked away by the wind!

take it for what it's worth...don't admit anything or you'll get nailed in court...even for 5 over! As I was walking out a lawyer said good job! but you folded in the end.....

Stand your gound...the system works.

bobk.

·
The cool cop!!!
501 Posts
withhold judgement

At my city court, if you don't have a bad driving record, our judge will withhold judgement for 6 months. As long as you don't get another ticket (usually ofr the same offense) for 6 months, the charge will be dismissed. However, if you do get a ticket, you'll get a double dinged for the new one and the past one.
Some of the time, the prosecutor will ask if the officer will have a problem with it. If he isn't an asshole, he'll agree, because it still shows that he issued the citation, but they won't send it to the B.M.V.
I don't write speeding tickets (3 in 5 years), but I have done this in minor criminal offenses (i''m a good cop), so hopefully you can have it done on a minor traffic violation. Some city's/states have stopped doing this, but ask around, it wouldn't hurt!!!

By the way, I've done it twice. Once for an unsafe start on my motorcycle, and once for a Illegal possession of alcohol by consumption (both in same year). The only thing that sucked is I had to pay the fines for th I.P.O.A.B.C. and do community service, but that was for a criminal offense, and it kept it off my record.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts