Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got this 93 vr4 that came with the chrome stock rims and I need the special tool for the special lugnut. I bought a $60 set off of 3sx but the tool isn't fitting my lugs properly. I'm wondering if someone out there has one that I could borrow, I only need to use it just the one time! I'll install my new set off 3sx if I can successfully remove the original one and I could send you your tool back along with the lugs if you waant. If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it just send me a pm or comment here. Thanks!

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,833 Posts
I have heard from another forum, that these "can" work for our "special" locking lugs (I am assuming you are talking about the locking lugs here..)

I received one of these for my last (F'n 65th BDay...damnit), but have yet to try it out....

Bob.

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,192 Posts
Hey guys I got this 93 vr4 that came with the chrome stock rims and I need the special tool for the special lugnut. I bought a $60 set off of 3sx but the tool isn't fitting my lugs properly. I'm wondering if someone out there has one that I could borrow, I only need to use it just the one time! I'll install my new set off 3sx if I can successfully remove the original one and I could send you your tool back along with the lugs if you waant. If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it just send me a pm or comment here. Thanks!

Using a locking lug nut removal tool to get the old ones off .... and or a socket size large enough to go around the old locking lug nut this is another trick to get them off as well ... being very care with a extension to pound on the removal tool of your choice but you should be able to rent one of these tool sets at a near by tool / parts store
Use a extension on the tool to pound it on ..... so in case you slip up with the hammer you don't smack the face of the wheels
Use breaker bar or impact wrench to take them off with
You should not have to jack the car up to remove old ones leave in gear / set park brake
Torque your lug nuts ( min ) 89 foot pounds ( max ) 100 foot pounds
DO NOT "UH GA DA GA" !!! Them down with impact .... warp your brake rotors.... causing pulsation while braking / damages lug nut threads and studs as well
Torque Wrench please

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,192 Posts
Gotta find something that will fit around the outside edges of it "tightly" no telling who was the last one that installed them or previous shops that might have rotated the tires last ... might be on ridiculously tight hope not
I know that a 19mm half inch deep well socket is to big .... 3/4 SAE standard deep well socket is to small .... I have taken very similar pattern wheels locks that have really close but not exact lock pattern to the locks on wheels before and stuck a socket on the end of the wheel lock and pound the back side of socket to force or push the pattern into the wheel lock that I'm going to be using .... let me research really quickly I'll send you a link on wheel lock removal tool kit

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,833 Posts
I bought that rak universal socket from the link Bob provided but it wouldn't bite at all.
I'm REALLY sorry.
I had never tried it (as I had the key for the locks).
Just going on advice from others.

Bob. :(

I may try the unwrapped one I have tomorrow on my VW locking lugs (VERY similar to the Mitsu ones)....

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,192 Posts

Your going to also need a 6 inch long.... half inch drive extension.... get a cheap one as you are going to be pounding on the back of it with a hammer .... make sure they get a good bite into the wheel locking lug nut.... then remove the 6 inch extension... and use breaker bar that's 1/2 inch drive on the splined socket to remove lock lug

the cylinder rod that comes in tool kit .. is used so that you can use it as a punch to knock the old wheel lock out of the socket .... as it will be lodged in it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm REALLY sorry.
I had never tried it (as I had the key for the locks).
Just going on advice from others.

Bob. :(

I may try the unwrapped one I have tomorrow on my VW locking lugs (VERY similar to the Mitsu ones)....
It's okay, it was worth a shot..but Im sure it will come in handy some day so I'll just hang onto it anyways :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Your going to also need a 6 inch long.... half inch drive extension.... get a cheap one as you are going to be pounding on the back of it with a hammer .... make sure they get a good bite into the wheel locking lug nut.... then remove the 6 inch extension... and use breaker bar that's 1/2 inch drive on the splined socket to remove lock lug

the cylinder rod that comes in tool kit .. is used so that you can use it as a punch to knock the old wheel lock out of the socket .... as it will be lodged in it
I'll give this a shot next, thanks guys

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,192 Posts
I've removed a great amount of these at work for customers that have no clue where ther wheel locks are .... lost etc....
The worst ones are on the new Dodge and Chrysler vehicles..... they have a anti theft slip ring that spins on the wheel lock lug itself which this has to be cut off first to extract the wheel lock not fun

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought that lucky way 5 piece set. It sounds like all I gotta do then is find whichever socket fits best, find myself a 6 inch long extension that locks into the new socket and beat on that extension shaft? I have a torque wrench. Is that what you mean for using in the socket once it's pushed into the lugnut? Also how good of a bite will I get? I'm worried I'll bungle it somehow and strip the lugnut or something.

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,192 Posts
Don't use the torque wrench to break this guy loose torque wrenches are NOT breaker bars ...this is used to finalized torquing down your lug nuts...
A breaker bar or strait shaft swivel half inch drive wrench is used after you beat on the extension to pound the easy out socket on to the old wheel lock .... after getting a good bite on the old wheel lock remove just the 6inch extension and use the breaker bar to remove the old wheel lock
Reason for doing it this way with extension is that you don't want to pound on just the socket ... If you don't use the extension for one you could slip up and smack the wheels face damaging your wheel
Another reason is that if you think your good enough to do it without the extension in socket you will damage the socket and or break it .... Or Flattening the back end of socket .... will cause you more issues..... thus not being able to install the breaker bar back into the socket .... don't be a hero ... use the extension

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,192 Posts
That wheel lock is extremely hard casted metal you'll have to get that easy out socket on there really good in order to take it off ....depends really on how tight it's been installed..... if torqued to 100 foot pounds it should be fairly easy to remove ..... if impacted on with impact gun or over torqued prior.... hopefully not
if it is ....this will be extremely difficult to remove

1 - 20 of 24 Posts