Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Speaker upgrade yay, seperating dash/side wiring boo

737 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  saq 
#1 ·
as the topic says, i got a component system upgrade, infiniti's (mmm) but i cant figure out (with the wiring harness) where the wires to the dash speakers go, i got the door speakers figured out, but they seem to also power the dash. Any way I can use the existing wiring for the dash speakers so I dont have to rip my baby up? Thanks.

#2 ·
I think they are the same colors for left and right... one is tweetr I think it will ahve silver dots on tweeters. take a 9 volt battery and touch the wires it will make a tone. but they will be color coded one set will ahve a 3rd color that denotes the diffrence between the two speakers.

#3 ·
So by default the dash and the door go into the same 'plug/slot/whatever' in the factory wiring harness? So I'd clip it before the harness to add it in? I'll have to mess with that.

#4 ·
Ok, got one side. I noticed 2 wires going into the left + and left -, clipped one, dash speakers went out, yay. Got those hooked up to the crossovers, omg it sounds so much better.
On to the right side, there is no second wire going into the right + and right -. I can't even find any wires that are crimped together to push both of them in the console. It appears that the 2nd pair of wires doesn't even exist. I've got a bunch of crimp together connectors but I don't want to go through clipping every wire till I find something that cuts out just the tweeters. Anyone have any experience or seen anything similar? THX

#5 ·
It took me a while to figure my shit out and I was using a easy wiring harness that had all the read outs. My car is in the shop or I would pull out my head and look for you. I know they will be the only 4 wires with dots on them the easiest way to sort it out is to pull your tweets look at them and see if they have the dots on them or not...after that is figures out wires the tweets up first and then wire your head or amp into the imput then the woofer.

Also make sure you test the polarity with it faded up front you should be able to move it left to right and hear a drop in sound (being loudest in the center) If you get louder sound with one of the balance on either side you have a bad wire. Somewhere in the mix of the 6 of them it is easy to get one wrong :)

#6 ·
hostile said:
It took me a while to figure my shit out and I was using a easy wiring harness that had all the read outs. My car is in the shop or I would pull out my head and look for you. I know they will be the only 4 wires with dots on them the easiest way to sort it out is to pull your tweets look at them and see if they have the dots on them or not...after that is figures out wires the tweets up first and then wire your head or amp into the imput then the woofer.

Also make sure you test the polarity with it faded up front you should be able to move it left to right and hear a drop in sound (being loudest in the center) If you get louder sound with one of the balance on either side you have a bad wire. Somewhere in the mix of the 6 of them it is easy to get one wrong :)
In hind site I shoulda posted on my own thread when I asked all this shyte and nobody answerd me :(

That way I coulda just linked you and had all the info for people in future situations... after you figure out the color code post it for future refrence.

#7 ·
Ok, got it all working. OH MY GOD. I can turn the volume all the way up with no distortion. I LOVE these infiniti speakers. Its pretty damn loud too, I'd guess well above 100db (with sub off).

Anyways, enough raving about these speakers. The wiring diagram from installdr.com is correct. Except it looks like the 91-93 might be a little different. I never could locate the right channel dash line at the wiring harness. BUT I was able to run some wire to the console from the dash opening all the while only having to remove 5 screws. If you unscrew the glove box you can run wire down pretty easily. 4 inside the glove box, and one on the side at the bottom in the back.
So if you are mysteriously missing the 2nd wire going into the wiring harness like the wiring diagram from installdr shows you should have, just do what I did.

Ok, now for an amp upgrade, this little 200w jensen is barely pushing them to their full potential, but it will make a great sub amp for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.