Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 3000GT VR4 with the stock head unit with the digital equalizer and speakers. A few of the speakers have failed and I'm looking to replace them.

I know that speaker recommendations are usually personal preference and I have spent quite a bit of time looking through posts on here for ideas but that only left me more confused along with the fact that a lot of the suggested models are no longer made.

Based on what I have read I believe the the 92 models did not have the Infinity system or an external amplifier. I'm not looking to replace the head unit or add an amplifier.

It looks like for the dash speakers my best bet would be to get a set of OEM MR207971 if I can find them.

Can anyone give me some recommendations for speakers that would work well for the doors and the rears and possibly the dash locations?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 92 3000GT VR4 with the stock head unit with the digital equalizer and speakers. A few of the speakers have failed and I'm looking to replace them.

I know that speaker recommendations are usually personal preference and I have spent quite a bit of time looking through posts on here for ideas but that only left me more confused along with the fact that a lot of the suggested models are no longer made.

Based on what I have read I believe the the 92 models did not have the Infinity system or an external amplifier. I'm not looking to replace the head unit or add an amplifier.

It looks like for the dash speakers my best bet would be to get a set of OEM MR207971 if I can find them.

Can anyone give me some recommendations for speakers that would work well for the doors and the rears and possibly the dash locations?

Thanks in advance
I replaced all my speakers in my 93 TT years ago with Alpine R series. Great speakers if they are still available. If your looking to upgrade your speakers you definitely want to go aftermarket.

·
Registered
1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
23 Posts
I replaced all my speakers in my 93 TT years ago with Alpine R series. Great speakers if they are still available. If your looking to upgrade your speakers you definitely want to go aftermarket.
What sizes for the doors and rear speakers?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just did jbl stadium series 6.5” components that come with tweets that have nice adapters to fit into the stock tweeter mount, have to remove the speaker though. And for the rear I believe 9x5 jbl coax. Just waiting on amp to come in but the speakers were very affordable and had lots of good reviews

My 91 had a stock amp that I didn’t even know was there so it’s worth a look behind the radio

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,841 Posts

See first review with pictures of installation in a 3000gt in below link.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Anything name brand that fits will be fine. For cars you need to do a lot of work to really get good sound that’s good enough to notice a difference. Getting into dsp and microphone would be the next steps after doing speakers and sub and amps and good head unit. I’ve learned it’s basically just a waste for car audio. Buy whatever name brand you can find that’s cheap and roll with it. Like motorcycles, a slip on is a slip on is a slip on. Same with Kenwood, pioneer, Rockford fosgate. If the price range is around $125 they will all be pretty much the same.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,841 Posts
Anything name brand that fits will be fine. For cars you need to do a lot of work to really get good sound that’s good enough to notice a difference.
I was always under the impression that the wattage and ohms should be as close to the operation head unit delivery specs to get best sound and volume for that unit.:unsure:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
edit- I got off topic.

Yes you should be considering the ohm loads of the speaker and amplifiers/head units you are considering. Matching would be best but as long as you don’t go under the rated ohm load of the amplifier you will be ok. Higher (8ohm speaker on 4ohm amp) will result in a power loss, this is important when dealing with factory amps.

·
Member #538
1,283 Posts
Most older factory systems are underpowered and the factory speaker cones are super light, this combination works well enough. If you throw some aftermarket rigid cone speakers with a lot of mass in the car with a factory head unit you will likely be disappointed. Go with any of the mainstream brands, replace the speakers and HU and don't waste a bunch of money on specs and advertising that don't translate to noticible real world performance.

·
Lovbyts
3,653 Posts
Hey speaking of speakers I found this little tool VERY helpful recently and its only $10. I did all my speakers not long ago and since its an after market head unit, 2 amps and a crossover I decided to check my polarity. 3 of the 4 speakers were backwards. lol Polarity doesn't really matter if they are all the same so I just fixed the one that was out of sync. Sometimes depending on your setup having the bass speaker reversed actually adds to the sound quality.

Speaker Polarity Tester Phasemeter Tool

1 - 10 of 10 Posts