Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I know my plugs have 45k on them since the car has 45k on it. No knock other than occasional funky fuel related. One of this winter's projects for the mechanic is doing the plugs. While we're doing that I'm going to have the coils and PTU and wires done as well.

Most obvious option is stock plugs which is fine but I'm also thinking about Denso Iridium plugs as well.

I've read various thread about the iridium plugs but came away without a clear opinion of good or bad.

Price for me isn't an issue at all so that doesn't factor in.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Spark Plugs are one of those things its not really worth overthinking, and especially over spending. Specifically on stock or lightly modified cards. I strongly recommend just sticking with the OEM Replacement Double Platinum from NGK Part No: PFR6J11. Many people, myself included, go the opposite direction and run $2 a plug NGK Coppers, even on high horsepower turbo builds. The downside to coppers is they typically just don't last as long

Reactions: rez604

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,998 Posts
Your car is not really doing too much in the power department to warrant anything else, so just stick to stock or an equivalent heat range "6" in iridium e.g. NGK or Denso. If you anticipate doing more sooner than later, then 7's will not hurt anything. Gap accordingly of course.

Reactions: rez604

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,332 Posts
Yeah if you dont plan to mod, turn up boost, or change fuels, sticking to stock is fine. If you do plan to do some of those things i have a thread here on what ended up being best for me. I now run ~19psi with full E85 on these copper plugs. Checking gap is key in any situation. Spark Plugs and Plug Gap for E-85 and E-85/pump blends...

Oh and i would not replace a perfectly good, OEM PTU. That's not really preventatively maintenance. Plugs and wires should be fine.

·
Lovbyts
3,881 Posts
OEM Platinum # PFR6J-11
Iridium alternative # IFR6J1

They are around the same price

Reactions: bboyalan
1 - 6 of 6 Posts