Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,310 Posts
OK, I'm sorry, but I think its time I jump in on this one.....

I admire both Bob and Dave for their excellant work, but when it comes to going above and beyond, I feel Mr. Best has the gauntlet.

Case in point:

Bob was asking for "specialized" plate designs. So I asked for a "Spyder VR4" one. I told him the potential was 857 (the number or Spyder VR4's made). He agreed and I sent him a high quality digital pic of the decal on the back of my car. A few weeks later he posted that the plate was done. The resultant plate was not even remotely close to the photo sent. It was a block style font that was "easy" for the mill operator. Bob blasted me when I told him I wasnt interested in it because it wasnt acceptable font quality. At this point I let the "Spyder VR4" plate idea die. (Im sorry, but I did not keep an image of this plate, but I can assure you it wasnt close to the picture).

I found out from Hans Ertl that Dave was getting into the "plate" business. I emailed Dave and posed my querry to him. He asked that I send him the photo. Photo sent.
A short while later Dave contacted me with a finished product. This finished product....

(please scroll down a bit to see the plate)

....it came from this pic I sent....

Now you tell me, is Dave's work quality or not?

On top of this, since I volunteered the picture, Dave gave me a small discount from his normal 3si price. He didnt have to, but he must have felt it was a good business move, since I just opened another market (albiet small) to him.

In another thread, I shared the story of one of the bolts that came with the plate (threads fubard). Dave wouldnt let it rest until I was completely satisfied (which I was!).

Plenum Polishing:

If you can polish a plenum in an hour, you my friend, are a GOD. When I purchased my already "partially" polished plenum and asked "Mark" to finish it for me, I had hoped that it wouldnt take more than a "couple" of hours. Mark spent close to 10 (TEN) hours to get my plenum looking like the above pic. This was Mark's first attempt at a TT plenum, but I dont think even with practice, it could have been done in even half that time.

Im not bashing anyone here, just trying to share my experiences with both.

Bob.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I might as well post, everyone else is

I polished my plenum on my own. Left in on the car, didn't do the sides real good, and it still took me about 20 hours. Granted, I don't have all the special tools, but it isn't something that can be done in an hour, not even half ass. I've attached a pic of it. Next time, I'll just take it off, send it to Dave, work an extra 10 hours, and save myself 8 hours of drinking time. Not to mention some skin left on my fingers, and some feeling left in my legs.
:hammer: Aaron

Attachments

·
Supreme creator of stuff
3,572 Posts
response....

Well I went on for three pages of babble only to get the "your not typing fast enough unsubscribed thread" notice.....then thought a bit and figured I would delete the posts....seems I can't do that either...only edit them.........

You win dave.......but those little covers were 20 shipped...not 60 or even 40...they were 20 shipped...you want one? its 20 shipped...I got 2 left...they have holes in them though. As a matter of fact a had a BBQ/ Tune day with the local NW members and gave 12 of them away to all who showed up.....not to get them to show up..........I know that one is comming from your pie hole next. Just sort of gave em away because everyone helped with the SAFC install and the other stuff....very good time......wow....give stuff away that cost money to make...I think I get it.

good luck on your plates...hope there is still interest in them...I think 200 is a bit optimistic....sorry you didn't like the 3 OOO gT plates...it was the first design sent to me by a Team3s member and I used it...seemed he had no problem selling them before me. I have a Stealth not a 3000gt so I really didn't know what it was suposed to like......if you took them in on trade and don't like them then thanks for jumping on the gernade...I am sure it will sell and you'll make money......My whole point with this was you push you stuff...whether it be polishing or plates on everyone's thread...not your own...whether to drum up interest or sales on your end......You are the only one who does that....that was my point and I still stand by it.......even you customers over on this side of the country agree and say the same thing...you always post on others threads pushing your stuff........"oh don't buy this...go buy mine" do a search on your name.....you'll see. check who has started the thread and see how long it takes you to get your plug in. You are like a magpie sitting on a fence waiting to jump the french fry in the parking lot......."oooooh ooooh oohhhh...look at me!"

well I guess I will back from you....being you didn't respond to my PM about cleaning this up...I guess we continue here.

oooops.....forgot to add this in.........I will bet anyone I can polish a plenum in an hour to look just like dave's work...any takers? I will start the bid at 200$...be carefull on this bet though.....I got access to some pretty serios polish eqipment...not a dremel tool and a time clock.

·
Ultra Member
4,294 Posts
I think you are getting outta hand ... the purpose Dave Best does his work is quality above quantity.

I have known Dave Best awhile and feel that he lets his products show his worth. Nothing more ... nothing less.

Accept that a person or business... however small can offer a quality product for a better bang for the buck value than a person more well-equipped to "mass-produce" these spark plug plates.

How about making different products, which I believe you do already ... and expand the product line available to 3SI instead of this petty name-calling.

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
I have to say I have never seen anything but the best quality from Bob's stuff and he is also giving DAMN good prices for his stuff, not trying to make a ton of money off of our members like a lot of other people out there.

Dave may also have great quality stuff and be offering great prices so let's not try to accuse each other of shotty work especially if you don't like the design, maybe some suggestions but obviously there are people who like the design just fine. I personally have not seen Dave's stuff but have seen Bob's and know he's doing his part to help the 3SI community.

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
check the dates of the posts. This argument is long since over. There are several sources for the plates, Dave seems to have the nicer ones, but they all look nice to me, someone who has the factory cover and dreams of something better.

Does Anyone Carry a STEALTH R/T Plate? How much? and is the script powdercoated? Would like the Turquoise color paint.

Will order a plenum polish too if someone wants to offer a great deal.

Lord Warlock

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
Ok so if a post is over 24 hours we aren’t supposed to post to it?? I missed that rule.

the post may have started quite a while ago but if you follow it there is something almost every couple days. Some people have another life and don't always check back every five minutes or less and don’t respond for a few days or even a week. It doesn't look like I was bringing up anything dead and buried here.

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
I personally don't care if you post to a thread that is a year old. But noone is likely monitoring that thread anymore. You got me since I was still getting email notifications on it. I had cancelled most of the thread updates to others made around the same time.
Dave may have overstepped himself in his interest to explain that his plates were cheaper and always available, and therefore the buy was not a great deal to others interested. I do find it strange when tuners plug products on threads that others selling like merchandise start. (3SX does it too) But it sounded to me like they were looking out for other members, so it wasn't that big a deal.
The namecalling and banter back and forth could have been avoided.

But it has been over two weeks since anyone posted to this thread until yours suddenly popped up.

By all means if you want your opinion known feel free to post. Who am I to say yea or nay. There will just be few that will read it.

Lord Warlock

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.