Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I first posted this in General under Modifications - duh.... Decided it belonged here more.

Can anyone help me analyze this picture? I replaced my spark plugs tonight and she's a whole new beast. :) So, all 6 plugs look very much like this one - is this what an old plug should look like or is something not quite right in my engine? Thanks!

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Looks like it might be a little rich, all that crap on there is carbon build-up, likely from them either being in there way to long or excessive blow-by. Do you get much smoke or strong fuel smell?

Was the plug wet when it came out?

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,555 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't get much smoke - maybe a little tiny bit when I first start the car. The tips were dry when it came out but the threads were a little wet.

They have been in there too long - last owner did 120K service minus the spark plugs and wires (don't ask me why). He sold me the car at 145K and I just got to change them at 150K so they've been in 90K miles AFAIK. Thanks for the link OhioSpyderman.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
They have probably jsut been in there way too lnog and got a lot of build-up as they weren't sparking efficiently...couldn't burn everything that went past. Not to mention with ~150k I'm sure there is some wear :)

I would change the plug wires too if you didn't!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, 8MM blue NGK wires. Should last till the 180K change. Wear? Are you saying my 150K mi car isn't perfect anymore? Actually, believe it or not, I have original motor, tranny, clutch in there and the clutch holds strong at 10PSI. I can't wait till it goes so I can replace it *he says dripping with sarcasm*. Thanks for the thoughts guys.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Not that your car is worn out or bad ;)

I have 115k on mine on all original parts and everything holds fine at 14PSI :)

Just that, at 150k, regardless of maintenance, things are going to be worn from their orignial positions and likely letting oil blow-by and such ;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it has it's fair share of problems, but that's what I'm here for.... to whip her back into shape. My wife hopes it holds up so the repair bills are low - I hope it breaks so I can replace parts. :)

It's a shame the previous owner just let her go (AA - front and rear were frozen, exhaust was shot, power sunroof leaked, fog light lens was shot, plugs/wires were OLD, power antenna was broken, passenger mirror replaced with non-heated, ash tray missing, AC was broken, I could go on). I have fixed most of these and am still working on the last few.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Sounds like a good working project!

I hope it turns out well, Silver is one of my favorite colors!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I used the NGK Platinums - same ones that came out: PFR6J. I've regapped them to .036" in anticipation of future fuel / boost modifications. Should I have gone tighter? If so I can do them again - wasn't that hard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts