Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
white bread
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just dinged my rear passenger rim and I dont think I should be driving on it. I see on the spare tire (the mini one) that it has a max speed of 50mph, but is there any other limiatations on it?

Of course I'm not going to drive around on it for a couple weeks, but will it be OK to drive on for the weekend till I can get to a shop next week?

Thanks,

Jason

p.s. Anyone have a spare 18" chromie they want to sell me???

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
I know a guy who did drive a couple of weeks on his. Put over 800 miles on it and he didn't hold it down to 50 either, freeway driving, prolly up to 70 or so. He had no problems, other than looking silly :D

I wouldn't sweat it for the weekend.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
I think the 50mph indicator is just to save them from lawsuits when people think that little tire will handle just as well as the 245s that came on the car.

My brother's 89 Supra came with a fullsize spare. Ahh, the good ol' days of sports cars :)

·
reason for tickets.......
1,039 Posts
When I hit a a 4" bolt and it put a 1/2 inch hole in my tire, I drove around for about 2 weeks on my spare, waiting for my new rims. I knew it was bad but never had any problems at around 70 mph....grrrrr.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Like I said in the fist post about this, I believe driving on your spare any longer than necassary is really bad and could fry your Transfer case.

-Jeff

·
1,039 Posts
well, lucky for me I didn't have to find out the hard way. I had to tear apart my tranny to replace the syncrhos, anyway. How long did it take, lurkers, before your tranny locked up? I wonder if that's only on the AWD cars it makes a difference? Mine's a FWD and I had the spare on the back. So I don't think that would present a problem if it was on the back.

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
About 12 days on spare from past owner...locked up at highway speed, scared the shit outta her, got it fixed and sold it mint condition for 2800$
:p
Yes all wheel drive.....
-Jess

·
1,039 Posts
Wait a minute... you bought a 92 vr-4 in mint condition for 2800??????? DAMN you got a good deal. How long have you had it? Any problems? I'll buy it for 5k!

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
Hehehehe
Not For Sale
:p
105k, had it since July...all service reciepts came with it
Drove from columbia Missouri to columbus Ohio for this Hog...
Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
the money i didnt use to buy this, is going to the 1999 conversion while its stored this winter. With the money from the drunk diver that hit me, i plan to mod the hell out of it. Its in the shop now...should have back in a week, then its going straight to my garage.
I pan on polishing everything first, then port/polish my intake and exaust, moving to the internals (still contemplating if i should) To larger turbos (15g) - Fuel upgrade-new ecu-custom sound system involving the kenwood touch screen dvd/cd player
By then it should be spring, ill find some stock 18' vr4 chromies with a mercedese silver custom paint job..
Jesse Buxton
18yrs
high school senior
1992 vr4

1 - 11 of 11 Posts