Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
If the "stage 2" is still the TZ then I would recommend it. I have it on my nearly bone stock TT and its lasted about 3 years. i took it to the track about 3-4 times a year and i've beat on it more than that on the street. i loved launching with it since its got instant grip. right now its slipping so i'm going with oem; and thats only because i am not planning to upgrade anything anytime soon so i rather save some cash on that end.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Ohhh, memories! Myself and John Monnin were pretty much the first ones to introduce this clutch to the community, WAY back in 2003 or so. I lived around 15 miles from the place and spent a lot of time there. My car was actually the tester for the first TZ and the DXD.

I had the DXD in my car (11.9's) and loved it. Many people put the TZ in theirs and that's also a great upgrade from stock, but if you are making big power then you will overpower it.

I haven't been in contact with them for at least 2.5 years so I'm not sure if everything is still as good as it used to be, but they were great "back in the day".

·
Vette Driver
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the "stage 2" is still the TZ then I would recommend it. I have it on my nearly bone stock TT and its lasted about 3 years. i took it to the track about 3-4 times a year and i've beat on it more than that on the street. i loved launching with it since its got instant grip. right now its slipping so i'm going with oem; and thats only because i am not planning to upgrade anything anytime soon so i rather save some cash on that end.
Thanks for the reply. To get this straight though, you recommend it, but you're going OE for your next one? We don't want to spend extra cash either. We just want a streetable clutch that will last w/SOME trips to the strip behind the stock engine.

·
Banned
3,240 Posts
Ohhh, memories! Myself and John Monnin were pretty much the first ones to introduce this clutch to the community, WAY back in 2003 or so. I lived around 15 miles from the place and spent a lot of time there. My car was actually the tester for the first TZ and the DXD.

I had the DXD in my car (11.9's) and loved it. Many people put the TZ in theirs and that's also a great upgrade from stock, but if you are making big power then you will overpower it.

I haven't been in contact with them for at least 2.5 years so I'm not sure if everything is still as good as it used to be, but they were great "back in the day".
i bet eddie was the one that built your clutch wasnt he? Did you know he got busted for having one of the largest meth labs in the state? Andy is good at what he doesn, but eddie sent me a couple of monster clutches for testing in TX

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
LOL, I didn't know that about Eddie, any links to news stories?

Eddie was my first contact, then he left and I dealt with Andy and arr... urr... M... darn can't remember, it's a weird name that started with M.

I'm not sure that Eddie "built" the clutches at that time but he spec'ed them out and pretty much "invented" them.

I remember that Eddie was sending "someone" some monster clutches in TX. He wouldn't even tell me who it was, just that it was a very highly modified car that may be featured in magazines, etc. Whatever came of that?

·
Banned
3,240 Posts
NVM, found it...
Oh Crystal Meth… | Day After Yesterday

dates are links to stories from the local TV station. Wow. He was always a bit weird....

(edit) damn, the links are all dead :(

What was his last name, I can't remember...
its sad,,,eddie was my friend:( funny how all my friends (really nice people ) are all crooks, prositutes and bullys. sigh. anyway. SBC FTW!!

·
Vette Driver
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back on topic...what is the advantage of this clutch over stock LONGEVITY wise, w/a stock engine, and probably 4-5 trips to the strip/year?

I way "longevity wise" b/c I expect clamping effectiveness to be much better than stock.

·
Black Ops IT
5,159 Posts
Don't forget to mention the numerous people on here who experience non disengaging clutches of the TZ model. I can think of 5 people off the top of my head who posted here and had horrible issues with them...

The new higher end models seem to be extremely good though. Whatever pete has in his car ( DXD-F ) I believe is extremely nice. It engages way better than my Spec III+

·
Flasher
9,738 Posts
Don't forget to mention the numerous people on here who experience non disengaging clutches of the TZ model. I can think of 5 people off the top of my head who posted here and had horrible issues with them...

The new higher end models seem to be extremely good though. Whatever pete has in his car ( DXD-F ) I believe is extremely nice. It engages way better than my Spec III+
Yeah I was gonna say, there's been a few horror stories about springs popping out.

·
Black Ops IT
5,159 Posts
Hey Matt, did you see that Rocco died? I remember going to meet you at that place way way back! :)
Pretty much family, so yes.. I got the call. I'm not even able to make the funeral. I am supposed to be driving back wed, but I can't. The pathfinder is in bad shape, and it's the career fair week. Added on top of my workload, I'm stuck here.

I saw him 3 weeks ago in the hospital, and he didn't even know who I was. Dimentia had already set in.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Ahh, bummer, my condolences. Didn't know he was so close. Of course I was a palllbearer for my first boss from my HS job.

First Politos burns down, then Rocco dies. What is happening to all the "famous" italian places in S. Bend? :(

Sorry all, back to your regularly scheduled thread...

·
Registered
353 Posts
i'm going with an OEM since it is the cheapest and i'm not doing any upgrades within the next 2-3 years, oh, and to update you something new i found; the shop that i took my car to found that the reason it was slipping was because of oil leaking from the input shaft due to bad seal. They said that the clutch still had a decent amount of life left if it wasn't for the oil soaking it.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Is this the "rally" clutch? Thats the one I have, and it seems to be a great clutch so far. I believe it the stock disc w/ an upgraded pressure plate, therefore longevity should be the same as oem.
I'm runnig a SBC Rally (Stage 1) in my car. It's an upgraded pressure plate and disc. The disc it better than a stock one, they put a stock like lining on it that has more copper in it so it can take more heat and higher RPM. I would run one over a stock clutch.

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
i see no reason to spend money on an aftermarket clutch if your car is bone stock and staying that way. the stock clutches are really good, inexpensive, and can last 60k+ miles if treated right. mitsu designed the clutches to have a 20% margin (meaning it can hold 20% more than the rated TQ of the engine).

·
Black Ops IT
5,159 Posts
i see no reason to spend money on an aftermarket clutch if your car is bone stock and staying that way. the stock clutches are really good, inexpensive, and can last 60k+ miles if treated right. mitsu designed the clutches to have a 20% margin (meaning it can hold 20% more than the rated TQ of the engine).
more like 100K if treated right... My stock one went out at 92k after being BPU for several months.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts