Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
getting ready to order from discount tire, and need to know exactly what I need to order. I've spent the past two hours in the archives looking and haven't found the exact offset 40 or 45?
I'm looking at 18x8.5 with 245/40/18 but the rims say they are 40 offset is this ok or do I need spacers? I've heard of alot of people having problems getting their tantrums to fit right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TTT
Anybody please!!!! I don't want to go through the hassel of getting them and sending them back until I get the ones that fit right. Thanks

·
Here Alot
2,366 Posts
Not sure about the offset. I have a 94 VR4 and I sent email to them

THE ONLY WHEELS THAT WE MAKE ARE
17" AND 18" TANTRUM
17" VERDICT
17" AND 18" VILLAIN

THANKS.

-PAM-
KONIG SALES

That is what she wrote me back. I guess you can call and ask for Pam? ask her and let me know later

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
This sounds strange to me thai. I don't know of anyone that has had problems, but I DO know that of at least two members, that have them mounted no problems.

ElektroBeatz has the 17", 40mm offset mounted.
6g72tt also has them, but in 18" I'm not sure what offset.

Here's where we talked about it last:

http://www.3si.org/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52637

Our cars use 46MM normally.

If you come short on that, and get 40's, they'll be fine. The 5mm difference is actually 5mm that the wheel will sit FURTHER out of the wheel well. this translates to something like less than a 1/4" outwards. You won't notice.

The spokes on the Tantrums are VERY shallow. That means they don't intrude into the wheel area much at all. This prevents the caliper from smacking it while the wheel rotates.

I'd like to hear from anyone that found Tantrums not fit their car, what kind of car, and if you had any wheel mods (aftermarket calipers, etc)

Otherwise, I think you're fine with anything 40mm in the tantrum line. (stay away from the 45mm offset. I think that brings the spokes in too close to the caliper.)

Plus, I don't think there is an 8.5 width in any tantrum. Or at least according to Discount Tire:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/dtd/findWheelSizesByBrand.do?step=sizes&index=11

so, the 18x8 or 18x9, either in 40mm offset will be fine.

Let us know how it turns out.

I personally plan on getting 17X8, 40mm Offset. (that's what Elektro has, so I KNOW they fit all VR4s)

Elton

*edit - Addded the 3si Thread URL*

·
Registered
706 Posts
mine are 18x9 with +45mm offset. They fit fine. I'm using 255/35/18 tires on the front and 265/35/18 on the back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking for the thread but when I went back into the archives there was only 18 threads for (konig tantrum) instead of 2 pages last time I looked. anyways I can't find the thread I was refering to. I just looked it is 18x8 I seen the 5 and thought it was a half. I should have no problems with the 18x8 5_114.3 40 then? I thought I remembered somebody saying something about the offset needing to be 45 but then maybe I have killed to many braincells too! :D thanks for you help.

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
nah, if anything you're better off with the 40. It will sit the wheel 5 mm further outwards, which will give you more clearance.

The 45mm might be a bit too tight.

Your selection looks right to me. I think you'll have no problems at all, based on what I've heard from Elektro and 6g72tt.

:) Post pics when you're done dammnit! :D

(If I don't beat you to it. ;) )

Elton

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gotta get out of this big sand box in Kuwait, I leave here the beggining of Dec. but they should be waiting for me when I get home:D

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
oh, that's no problem. I can arrange that for you. Just have them shipped to my house and I'll.....

;) heheheh

E (<-- still in search of new wheel funds)

·
Registered
893 Posts
We need at least 40 off set for after market wheels, Blitz, OZ, AVS, racinghart, SSR wheels are needing 38mm or 35mm off set to fit our VR4/TT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts