Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just not used to what is normal on this car yet, so I'm asking. Here is the situation: (92 SL auto trans...):
I'm driving along, the light is red to I'm coasting to a stop, I'm ALMOST to a complete stop, maybe doing 5 mph or so, when the light turns green. There is nobody in front of me so I hit the gas. Every time I'm in this sort of situation where I'm ALMOST stopped, then start again, the transmission sort of CLUNKS or BUMPS into gear...not bad mind you, but its like the clutches have all released and by giving it gas it re-engages them, thats kind of the sensation I'm feeling anyway. With other auto trans cars, I really haven't noticed this, but I've never owned a Mitsubishi either. Do any of your auto trans cars do this or have I got a potential problem. I only have a 30 day warranty on this car so I need to figure out if its normal or not! Thanks! Randy

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I believe that, in order to save wear and tear, the tranny shifts itself up into second when you're at a standstill. Not knowing how an auto tranny works, I can't say if this is a reasonable explanation, but I'm fairly certain that it's what I read once in the shop manual, or else the onwer's manual.

I've noticed too, sometimes, that as I go from a dead stop up to highway speed, if I happen to be absent-mindedly counting the shifts, I sometimes count 4, rather than the 3 one would expect. I always figured that that was because it clunked from 2nd into 1st when I first started up, and then went through 3 more normal shifts to get up to 4th.

If nobody wiser answers (and most guys here are wiser than I am about Stealths), then my advice would be not to worry about it, provided it's just a quiet little shift we're talking about, and not some outrageous sound like your frame falling off.

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
Mine does that too.. I don't think its anything to worry about..

-LDG
93 Stealth ES

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its time to get your fluid flushed and filled my friend. that noise and clunk is the sound of the tranny not shifting into 1st when your slowing down like it should. if your going as slow as you say you are it should already be in 1st gear. I had the same problem. I got my tranny and torque converter flushed and filled recently and things improved drastically. But when you do this make sure they use ATF+3 its synthetic fluid. Kind of expensive but required (of course) by our cars. Also make sure to have it flushed and not just drained, if your gonna do it, do it right the first time. You'll be shocked probably how dirty the old fluid will be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts