Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need some insight as to what MAY have happened.
93baseGT and I were leaving westloop mitsubishi after talking with another 3si member... We hear a lightning pass by and decide to go after it. We get onto the main road and i gun it in 1st. Then I shift into 2nd and we hear this POP. My car quits making boost. The stock boost guage sits at 0. Wont go any higher. I can hear my turbos still spooling. But not even half as loud as they used to be.

Now, I have had the Boost Solenoid doing the woodpecker bit here lately.

I also have a small Power Steering fluid leak, and a light oil leak. There is still the correct amount of oil in the engine. I am running 10W-30 Castrol Syntec Blend.

We checked the Y-pipe and ALL intercooler hoses, none of them are loose.

Now can someone please give me a list of things to maybe go check, or some insight on what the hell is wrong.

I would apreciate ANY help someone can give me. I havent gotten my boost controller yet, so someone please let me know what to check and what could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Is the car is running okay. Is it down on power, is just the gauge bad. Check the bypass valve between the y-pipe and intake tract. Is the hose from the intake manifold connected to the bypass valve.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
All my hoses apear to be connected.
While ago it started to idle a bit roughly.
Its just driving a VR-4 without turbos. I can hear em spool, but the stock boost guage doesnt move above 0. ALTHOUGH i did notice while ago the boost guage needle is sitting right at -7. It used to sit alot lower than that.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Is the engine smoking and/or do you have oil in the y-pipe. You can check the y-pipe by removing the two hoses going into it and check for oil, look at both intercooler hoses. You may have two dead turbos, though usually only one fails at a time. Was the engine smoking before this happened.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No smoke.........
Turbos were replaced at 60K
Car has 86K on it.

·
glows green
1,054 Posts
heres what happened.

we were going after a lightning and had pulled out of a parking lot and accelerated through first. i dont' know if he was at full throttle or not but the car was making boost. when he shifted into second he floored it and there was kinda a clunk/pop noise and then the car kept on running but would not make any boost. the car runs normally, just sans turbos.

we pulled over to check it out and i didn't really hear any leaks. there was one really faint one coming distinctly from somewhere below the y-pipe but its been a while since i have heard one of these cars so i cant remember if that is normal or not. when the car is reved in neutral the boost gauge would barely move and it would never get above 0 while under load.

edit: no smoke or anything at all visibly wrong with the engine. no unusual noises either except for the one pop.

·
glows green
1,054 Posts
it didn't really run like there was anything wrong with that although it did cross my mind. whenever i made that mistake the RPMS jumped around alot and the car wouldn't idle. i didn't really notice a rough idle but its not my car so i wouldn't really tell if it was different.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its plugged in.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I'd check the bypass valve. There is about a 1- 1.5in hose that connects to the y-pipe, goes to the bypass valve, and the valve goes into the intake tract. If that valve has blown out and is not sealing, there is an opening from the y-pipe directly to the intake. Take it out and examine it.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YAY!!!! Now i get to go take more stuff out!

·
glows green
1,054 Posts
LOL

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its too dark, and too cold. I cant get hte MAS from the lower y pipe. So I think ill be through for the evening. Any suggestions tho as to what else is wrong.

Also, Ive noticed.

On the stock boost guage, when i rev it, it goes up to 0. Then falls down past the very bottom line of the gauge to the floor.
Then a few seconds later it pops back up to -7 PSI. when idling it does that too. While ago i got it to go a little bit past the 0 while driving, but that was it. It maybe went 1 tick above 0.

Any input is gladly welcomed and apreciated.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hmm. Pop sound, no boost, poor drivability...sounds like popped IC piping. Probably not all the way off, but loose enough to let boost escape. Trace all pipe and couplings from the MAF to the trottle body. Don't forget the BOV. I would suspect somewhere around the intercoolers. If nothing there, pull the bov and see if it's really closed.

·
glows green
1,054 Posts
we are going to check in the morning but i would think that if it was somewhere in the intercooler lines that he would be loosing power stuff too?

this is the most unusual problem i have ever encountered with these cars

·
glows green
1,054 Posts
on a side note, is it possible to crush our BOV like the DSM guys can?

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tomorrow when i have day light imma comb this all over and see if I cant find the leak. If its the BOV its gonna be a forced upgrade to an H-RFL... Darn. :)

Although its gonna be til mid week next week for me to get a rfl locally for 150 bucks. So if i cant find the problem ill be in the beater for a few days but then my car will come back better than ever ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
93basegt said:
we are going to check in the morning but i would think that if it was somewhere in the intercooler lines that he would be loosing power stuff too?

this is the most unusual problem i have ever encountered with these cars
Well, I have personal experience with my DSM doing something similar. It was a new silicone connector on my upper IC pipe. It looked fine, but what had happened was that the silicone had compressed and the clamp wasn't as tight as it was before. I'd hit boost, hear a boom or pop, and loose power. If I let off, it'd be fine. It had to hit a certain pressure to blow out.

What type of work was done to it at the Mitsu dealer? That will give me a better idea what to think about.

93basegt said:
on a side note, is it possible to crush our BOV like the DSM guys can?
No, same crappy plastic bullshit as a 2G DSM.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts