Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am new to this forum and I have a 98 3000gt base SOHC manual. I am working on fixing it up a bit. Have not done much yet besides basic repair stuff. I thought about a turbo but seems like a lot of work for it. I was thinking of maybe getting a DOHC engine, tuning it up and swapping that in. Has anyone done this before? Is it worth the cost? How much more horsepower can I get with this swap if I upgrade some of the internals, exhaust and intake? TIA for any input.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,722 Posts
Just going from SOHC 160hp to a stock DOHC 222hp will give you ~ 60 more HP. I don’t know if it’s been done before or what cost would be, I know there would be several wiring issues going from distributor engine to sensor base engine and for sure ECU chance would be required. I suspect the wiring issue would be bad enough to stop most people in their tracks.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,111 Posts
Coincidentally, I was just looking into this to point another member in the right direction. My response:

"The info and details are quite scattered from over the years, but the first swaps were done in the early-2000's. Here are some of the better posts:

SOHC- DOHC Swap Complete <<

97 SOHC to DOHC Swap summary and query <<

There are a few more threads, but the gist is that you are better off with a harness swap too..."

IMO, the swap does require some time, money, and effort, so it is really only justified for a few reasons: sentimental value, taking your time, and/or great deal on donor parts.

·
Registered
1994 3.5 sawp
67 Posts
The best thing to do is if you can find a wrecked dohc car for cheap, you would have everything you need to do the swap without having to Source a bunch of random parts. . . and then come down to knowledge, ability and money for upgrades

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,295 Posts
IMO, a low boost turbo setup would be easier than swapping the engine, entire harness, dash cluster, etc.

Even easier, sell it and get a DOHC model.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,244 Posts
Coincidentally, I was just looking into this to point another member in the right direction. My response:
I hope you don't mind Alan, but I pointed that member in your direction.
While it IS true that I have been on the forum from near it's inception, and I do know a bit about our cars, I had no clue what to tell him about SOHC to DOHC swaps and how to address the harness issue.
I thought maybe in one of your travels, you tiptoed through the issue...

Bob. :)

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,111 Posts
I hope you don't mind Alan, but I pointed that member in your direction.
While it IS true that I have been on the forum from near it's inception, and I do know a bit about our cars, I had no clue what to tell him about SOHC to DOHC swaps and how to address the harness issue.
I thought maybe in one of your travels, you tiptoed through the issue...

Bob. :)
Oh yeah, he did mention that hehe 😁 do not mind at all - flattered really.

A local had a custom single turbo kit made for his SOHC not too long ago, and I had to explain to both the fabricator/shop and him that his factory ECU was not flash tunable like the DOHC models . My recommendation ended up being a rising rate FPR to which they agreed.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,295 Posts
Safc should work with an FPR on a sohc.

Or skip the safc and go BEGI FMU fpr. I tuned my old turbo’d 1.6l Miata with one. Took awhile to get it dialed in right but even passed emissions on a dyno. Archaic but effective.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,111 Posts
Haha! That was the exact example that I used actually :LOL: the BEGI FMU. I guess the shop had remembered going this route eons ago on Hondas, so it was the no-brainer option lol.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,295 Posts
I kind of want to do a super cheap NA to turbo build with an FMU now. lol. Maybe a geo metro or something light and cheap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts