Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Got a '93 SOHC that won't start. Syptoms:

• Issue was intermittent at first and only would not start when the engine was warm, but now won't start all.
  • Engine turns over but won't run.
  • Once started, ran like normal (when it did start).
  • Fulled charged new battery will completely discharge when connected at rate of 1 Ah an hour- no lights or anything else on
  • Can hear faint clicking sound from behind or under intake plenum - can't isolate
  • Tachometer doesn't move at all when trying to crank engine, but engine IS turning
Here's the troubleshooting I've done thus far:
  • New Battery - old one died after repeated discharges
  • 6 Month Old alternator
  • New Ignition Coil
  • New ICM aka Ignition Transistor
  • New distributor cap & rotor
  • Tested MFI Relay per service manual & tested good
  • Connected inductive timing light to wire from coil to distributor - fires once ever 5 seconds or so when cranking engine
  • Pulled ECM & visual inspection shows no major defects - have new caps & planning to replace anyway
  • Connected test light to diagnostic connector & no codes are flashing - just steady unbroken "no errors" blink
Based on the service manual it seems like the only thing that would cause these symptoms that I haven't already checked is the crank/cam sensor. But I can't figure out how to test it.

Please bear in mind I'm a decent troubleshooter, but not too bright with cars so don't assume that I did simple stuff I should have; if I didn't list it above, I probably didn't do it.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
you need a multi meeter with waveform to test the cam/crank sensors. I don't believe they are your problem anyway. Sounds like an electrical problem. If your battery is discharging I would start there. Unhook the negative battery terminal. Hook a test light from the cable to the battery post. If you have a draw the light will come on. With that connected start pulling fuses one at a time. When the light goes out you found the system that has a draw.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did anybody ever figure anything out? I have a 97 base 3000gt sohc and it won't start now either... Fuel system is good.. is there a way to test for distributor or can you guys tell me where the crank sensor is?

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,008 Posts
Did anybody ever figure anything out? I have a 97 base 3000gt sohc and it won't start now either... Fuel system is good.. is there a way to test for distributor or can you guys tell me where the crank sensor is?
One post is enought see your other post for answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem here help plz the car was just working fine then I change the antenna to put it back starts fine then it dies on idle now it doesn't even start fuel everything good

1 - 8 of 8 Posts