Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone knows I'm paranoid about my Stealth. I'm Stealanoid I suppose. Always listening for odd sounds.

So when my car is cold, these days about 20F in the garage in the morning, if I hold the clutch in, all is quiet but if I take my foot off the clutch until it's been running for a few minutes, there is a light (light enough unless you're listening for it you won't hear it) sound like you get with a bad bearing. Not loud, but it's there - goes away after a few minutes. I'm assuming that there's nothing really wrong, just wondering if anyone else has heard this.

Second, when in tour, why is the suspension so much noisier than in sport? Tour has clunks over bumps and sport is quiet as a mouse, except for my vertebrae cracking that is. Again, I'm assuming it has something to do with the valving in the struts.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The transmission noise that goes away when you push in the clutch is common. I was told when my transmission was rebuilt that it is normal, and i have never experienced any issues from it. It was there before and after the rebuild, although i think it was much quieter after the rebuild and switch to different fluid (that was around 50k miles ago i think). If i recall correctly when i replaced the clutch and TOB that didn't really change it either.

I never observed the suspension noises in question, but my chassis has so many miles on it, it would be hard to discern over all the other noises and vibrations.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Pretty much thought so about the clutch.

If I'm not mistaken, the suspension noises are probably from the springs since there is a lot more travel in the struts in tour mode. As far as I'm concerned it can make all the noise it wants because around corners, oh my that's nice especially when "I'm in a hurry" tailgaters are back there. For a minute.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,745 Posts
My guess on the suspension is spring noise, probably from dirt on the spring perches, or I would guess. Never had one with working ecs.

The rattle is a common thing for getrag transmissions, though it could also be the throw out bearing rattling.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Everyone knows I'm paranoid about my Stealth. I'm Stealanoid I suppose. Always listening for odd sounds.

So when my car is cold, these days about 20F in the garage in the morning, if I hold the clutch in, all is quiet but if I take my foot off the clutch until it's been running for a few minutes, there is a light (light enough unless you're listening for it you won't hear it) sound like you get with a bad bearing. Not loud, but it's there - goes away after a few minutes. I'm assuming that there's nothing really wrong, just wondering if anyone else has heard this.
You need to check your fluid level in the transmission IMMEDIATELY! Hate to make you more paranoid, but low tranny fluid can cause the rattle when your foot is off the clutch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts