Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and there's a truck coming and i am thinking i can just zip out in front of it - little do i know that my car is about to do something odd.... i'm in first, turning left and gas floored and clutch all the way out - the car stops making any real power around 4.5k and a really loud roar out the back of the pipes. so i shifted and everything was fine - and still is fine. but my question is, why did my damn car stop accellerating at 4500 rpms in first gear?!?! if anybody else has had this problem, let me know - it does this occasionally, but not in any regular pattern that i can determine. thanks
Matt

·
The gloves are now off
1,508 Posts
What happens to the rpm's when it stops making power?? Do they just shoot up or do they proceed as normal?? Does it only happen in 1st?

·
Ferrari Nut
2,675 Posts
My first guess would be at that moment, the ECU did some serious retard with the timing, but for whatever reason is not clear. Does not sound like anything mechanical.

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
happens only in first, the rpm needle basically ceases it's upward climb and stays steady creeping slowly up (or at least that is what i saw when i glanced down). and an ECU timing retard sounds plausible.
Matt

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
I'm just making a guess. Maybe it has something to do with fuel cut because your ecu is messed up? I remember a post a while ago about how our chips ecu chips fry easily because of voltage problems...

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually, that would be nice - then i could really justify buying Brian's ECU for my car :) and the turbos and the fuel system and all the other goodies that accompany such things :)
Matt

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Mine has been doing the same thing lately and it did it this morning when I got on it in 4th. It normally happens in 1st and 2nd but only seems to happen a few minutes after the car has been running. This morning my boost gauge read 23psi when it happened. I may have a vacum leak. Let me know if you find anything obvious.

- Shawn

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine does the same exact thing. The timing is super retarded or something. If I try it again right away, its fine. Kinda anoying.

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
Sounds like it's time to change/re-gap your plugs. Out of nowhere I started getting some hesitation in 1st and 2nd gear. After changing my plugs it got rid of all the hesitation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts