Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
useless oil caps.. oil has been dripping out the cap and down the engine.. on hard acceleration of the car i get a nice burnt fishy smell.. yum yum.. puke..

getting a new cap tommorrow but anyone got any recommendations on cleaning the mess it left ??

any idea how long it will take for the oil to dissipate on its own ??

·
Curmudgeon
5,542 Posts
Hmmmm.... hard acceleration...burnt fishy smell.. I hate to say it but this sounds more like your clutch than oil. The stock clutches tend to do that, they slip under heavy load. I can even get that smell out of my non-turbo ES. Don't panic yet though, it might be many, many miles before it dies.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i do have that stupid BS pourous metal problem in my tranny.. hmm maybe I should have my clutch fluid levels checked and replaced...

also when I pop the hood and take a sniff around.. I can get the smell from where the oil burned onto the engine block and some of the shield down below.. when I do the touchup paint on my hood I'll clean the engine bay out a bit...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yo Ho!! Replace the pcv valve & the oil should not leak out of the cap anymore! Get the purolator one - seen it on sale for less than 2 bucks! If no good, find an old inner tube & cut out a new/additional gasket for the cap.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can someone PLEASE convince me that a thing called a "pourous metal problem" really exists? I find this damned hard to believe, but it DOES sound like an excuse someone would give if they didn't want to fix a problem (like an oil leak), particularly if it's under warranty.

·
Registered
125 Posts
HI,

The pourous metal problem is real. The cases are cast which is the problem. They just did a bad casting job. It still should not leak though. Years ago when motorcycles went to the cast wheels, they had some that were so pourous that you would get flat tires because the air would not stay in the damn tire!
Now, I use the inner tube trick to make a new gasket every oil change, works well. Use simple green to clean off the rest of the mess. Do it when the engine is warm.
good luck

frank

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a new oil cap.. don't know if it helped much maybe i'll do that o-ring thing.. though my oil levels are pretty high.. don't think i've lost a lot of oil...

bringing the car to a heated garage to fix the paint chips and clean the engine bay out a bit... fun fun.. I'll take pics of the burnt oil...

sniff sniff.. smells like fish in my engine bay... i can live with that just as long as they're no gremlins..

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Axel, let me re-emphasize what Jonh Millner said a few posts back, and which I think you may have missed - leaking oil cap can probably be fixed by putting in a new PCV valve.

I read someone else say this a few months back, and it also did the trick for me. If your PCV valve is blocked, the fumes take the next best exit from your rocker boxes, and go out the oil cap. Your cap may be just fine.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
carb cleaner works great so does brake cleaner but the brake stuff might be more harmfull to surounding things

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I STILL don't believe there's such a thing as a pourous metal problem! Do you have any idea what kind of forces are exerted on a transmission case? Show me some documented proof of this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts