Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, having some trouble with 5 Speed gearbox in my '92 VR4. I took off the end cover to replace the worn output shaft and one of the long bolts snapped. (Can be seen in the pictures) I've tried using a vice grips on it and that didn't work. I then welded a nut onto it, and that didn't work either, the nut just snapped off again.

I'm really not sure where to go from here. Do I try and disassemble the gearbox more, so that I can get a better grip on the bolt? I just don't know what to do. I would really appreciate some help. Thanks!

·
Lovbyts
4,051 Posts
First try penetrating oil and turn it back clockwise and then counter clockwise. Usually if its stick its becasue it has debris in the threads so turning it back and forth will help clear it. If that doesnt work then try heating it and worse come to worse have a nut welded on it but still rock it back and forth, dont just try to force it out.

·
Premium Member
1994 3000GT VR4
1,078 Posts
After wiping some oil from the case, would apply heat / torch to the case around the bolt also. Along with Paul's recommendation of penetrating oil and welding another nut to it and alternating pressure between tightening and loosening to help break free or clear any sealant or debris.

This is the order I would do it, for a couple of reasons:
  1. Weld another nut on
  2. Cool slightly so oil doesn't ignite but apply penetrating oil when still warm to hot
  3. Allow to soak and cool completely (likely refer to time on penetrating oil can)
  4. Apply heat to case around the bolt but not the bolt, taking care to not start a fire
  5. Try hitting the bolt with a hammer without breaking the welded nut off. Then attempt loosening and alternate hammer taps to the wrench or breaker bar between tighten and loosen until it budges
If welding the nut doesn't hold again, can use a small pipe wrench on the shank.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just the act of welding a nut on it might loosen it up enough to let it spin out.. if it doesn't hit it with some pb blaster.. let it soak.. welding should do the trick though. I see I'm not the only one who uses hard drive magnets.. lol..

·
Registered
Panama Green 93VR4
13 Posts
Im going with corrosion of the aluminum at the ears where the bolt goes through the back (top) and front ( bottom) of the mid housing. if you can heat the top ear with a propane torch to loosen the corrosion bond somwhat right at the ear there where the bolt goes through the top mid housing a real vise grip may get it out problem is you cant heat the bottom with damaging the anerobic seal between the mid and front housing.

I would just pull the mid housing off. My ear is cracked right at your arrow as the corrosion expanded the aluminum and spit the ear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts