Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO. I am out cruising and I end up next to another ram air ta. I give a few revs at him. He bites. I launch mildly, easy 3 grand, and grab second hard. POW!!! WOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMBAAAAHHHHH! POP POP ! BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....

Holly shit my car is loud. I stay in it, thinking perhap I blew out an exhaust gasket. I eat him by 3-4 cars at 80 when we let off.

Head over to my buddys shop, and throw it on the lift.... MY DNP down pipe snapped. Not on a weld, not on a seam. My down pipe broke in the middle of the rear tube.

My buddy said it was because there was no flex section. The pipe I have doesnt have a flex straight from DNP. IS it a design flaw?

My motor mounts were replaced with oem parts about 6 months before I did the exhaust, otherwise I would blame that.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
wow, this is the 2nd downpipe from DN I've heard of snapping... that can't be good :). ATR downpipes don't snap and they don't have a flex section. I'm beginning to wonder what DN really makes these pipes out of. Mine hasn't snapped, but if it ever does you better believe it's getting returned.

·
Registered
242 Posts
OMG! and i was contemplating getting one of those... not anymore!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Well, they just added a flex section to the newest downpipes. I was part of the gb and we originally received ones without the flex section, but they didn't fit. So the new ones we got do have the flex built in.

I dunno what motovated the switch to the flex section, but I'm glad I've got it after seeing your pictures.

·
Deal with it
3,129 Posts
Thats why all you turbo fools should buy an NA...for the flex section downpipes:D JK

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ueah, It lasted all of 6 months

I thought about sending it to them. I could probably thro a 2.5" flex section If I cut away a little of the remaing material. It could be welded. All in all I was satisfied with it until it failed.

I may go with a stillen, basically becase it eliminates the bottle neck where the precat in front, used to reside. Then again, I like having the hollow main cat, for prying eyes.

DNP could make it right if they sent me a NEW downpipe with flex and the precat eliminators.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Stillen Rocks !!!

I have the stillen and never had a problem with it, with ATR CAT back system... dam my system ROCKS!!!! only thing i would suggest on the Stillen is to bore out the holes that fits up to the exhaust manifold. Just makes it easier to pull and install.

4,448 Posts
Ikestaa said:
Eric
Who is Bob Melton? Is his stuff any good?
Bob Melton is a guy who lives up here near Lafayette, IN. His dad has an exhaust shop in Croydon, IN (or something like that down in the southern part of the state). He sells downpipes for a very reasonable price and they are proven to help your performance.

JeremyG got one for his car and reported a .2 - .3 sec faster quarter mile time. That's with hotter track conditions, too (90+ degrees vs 70s).

·
Fo Shizzle
2,410 Posts
Bob Meltons downpipe is a direct fit for the stock cat, ie the two pipes in the y merge into a pipe that has a 2.75" outlet, or whatever the id of the opening to the stock cat is.

The stillen, atr and dnp pipe are all 3" outlets

·
255 Posts
If that break is as clean as it looks, I think I know what the problem is. We had the same problem with our stainless and inconel tailpipes. If you make a mark with a regular graphite pencil either during the manufacture or service life of a part, the part becomes prone to crack. The part usually breaks cleanly along the pencil mark. It seems that when the part is heated, the graphite in the pencil mark migrates in to the steel. This re introduces carbon in to the steel which makes it more like very thin brittle iron. The part then breaks at this brittle union. If this turns out to be the problem tell Doug's fabricator to use only wax pencils on his stainless work.

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
can this happen to a DN dp for a NA?? cuz i know iceccool2's frontpipe broke also. uh-oh im worried :(

1 - 20 of 41 Posts