Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing people who are worried that the snake eyes mod might melt some of the plastic housing on the headlights. Has anyone ever really melted or screwed up anything on their car?

I'm really looking for someone who has had the mod for a few years, and used it a lot. I just bought my stealth, and want to know if it's worth it to do the mod.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
I've been running with my headlights not popped up for over 2 years and never melted or burned anything. And I always run high-powered 80/100 watt bulbs using the Hella H-4 conversion kit.

EricB

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's good, I think I want to do the conversion, then.

You have high-powered halogens on the car (you'll have to excuse my non-technical terms, I'm new to all of this), so can you run the lights down while you're driving at night? I hear they don't cover the road well when they're down.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Very true. I'm only estimating, but I'd reckon to say that you get about 30% of the actual light through the little flasher windows, i.e., when the lights are on in the down "snake eyes" position. Thigher powered bulbs help. But I also have aftermarket fog lights which are a WORLD better than the nearly useless factory ones. They are the $50 generic brand versions of the $200+ Cats or MSX lights. They're great, metal housings and brackets, glass lenses, H-3 bulbs, etc. Excellent lights, except that they're amber (not white as they appear below).

The hi-powered lights I'm using are H-4 bulbs. I don't think you'll find the regular sealed beam bulbs in anything higher than the standard 55/60 watts. I got the Hella H-4 Conversion Kit so I can use regular H-4 bulbs, which you can get relatively easily in higher wattages.

There's definitely less light on the road, but I have good night vision, and live in a good sized city so most of the roads are lit. When I travel at night, it's darker than normal, but I'm used to it, and the lines are usually well painted on the interstates.

Here's a pic of mine with the snake eyes and fogs from a couple years ago (ECG4).

EricB

[This message has been edited by SUTHNR (edited December 06, 1999).]

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So then, how much does the Hella h-4 conversion kit and lights cost? I would love to be able to drive with the lights down, but it sounds like it's not even worth it without the high powered beams.

I also hear that some people add a set of lamps to the side compartment of their headlights, just hooked up to the parking light power. Not sure if I read that right, but I wonder if that is a difficult process.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
I bought the kit 3 years ago from Imparts and it was only $78 and came with 2 standard 55/60 watt bulbs. I've seen recent prices upwards of $150 or more, though. Shop around. Shouldn't be too hard to find as it's not specific to our car. It's simply a 165mm Hella H-4 headlight conversion kit.

Right now I'm back to running standard 55/60 watt bulbs as I haven't found where to order the 80/100's since Imparts went under. :-( Haven't dug out my JCWhitney catalog yet, though. I'd bet they have the 165mm kit?

EricB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts