Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Smokin Issues

167 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  2Mitsus 
#1 ·
I've got that shitty smokin problem and need some help or advice. About two weeks ago, smoke started pourin out of my exhaust. I mean people behind me were driving thru a fog. Here's the deal, when i'm in neutral revving the engine, smoke pours out of the passenger side exhaust. not much out of the driver's side but a lot out of the passenger side. What does this mean?

Plus is there a test or something I can do to tell if the turbo's are leakin oil w/o havin to yank them? I checked the Ypipe and there was NO oil in it. It was very dry. My next guess would be that it is the valve seals. Please help!

#3 ·
Is the smoke blue or white? If blue, it is oil, if white it is coolant. Both of which can invade from a bad turbo seal or oil = bad rings or valve seals Water/Anti freeze = blown head gasket aside from the turbo seals.

#4 ·
The oil level goes down very quickly.

The tint of the smoke is bluish. Plus my antifreeze level has been about normal.

Does the fact that it comes out the passenger exhaust mean its the rear turbo or anything? I was wondering why it would come out of it more than the driver's side.

#5 ·
Freezin said:

The tint of the smoke is bluish. Plus my antifreeze level has been about normal.

Does the fact that it comes out the passenger exhaust mean its the rear turbo or anything? I was wondering why it would come out of it more than the driver's side.
I dunno, but I'm pretty sure it's not your valve seals.. I think my valve seals are bad because my smoke fits the standard description of bad valve seals : it only smokes if you let it sit and idle for a while (like 5-10minutes or more), then it'll let out a nice "puff" of smoke when I pull out, but it won't just sit there and shoot smoke out the back if I sit at idle and rev the engine. If it's your valve seals then they must be REALLY badly gone.

#6 ·
Freezin said:

Sounds like maybe rings or valve seals. A compression check should tell all. I believe you have a single exhaust on there, just outlets on both sides. Only way to tell which bank is with true dual exhaust and I doubt you have that.

#7 ·
My guess is that 1 of your turbos are bad.

A totally non-scientific approach would be to pull of the air hose and I/C pipes and stick your finger into the turbo and try to see if theres any free play on the intake sides.

Whenever I had a turbo go bad, they smoke like a MoFo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.