Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I think God doesn't like me and has stricken my car as my punishment!

Last week I noticed some automatic transmissionn fluid appearing where-ever my car was parked. I just put in another quart today, and it seems like its going down pretty quick as I am driving, not to the point where I can see the drip, but when I put a piece of cardboard, I can see spots about 4" diameter on the card by the morning. It looks like its been going on for a while as the passenger lower side of the engine/transmission is pretty well coated with black oily deposits. This is below the white plastic washer fluid bottle. As I mentioned, this is a 1994 Automatic 3000GT SL, stock with no engine add-ons other than a K&N air filter, and I have maintained it like a baby with its 60K and 120K done by myself. The car has done 141,000 miles. My question is, what are the possible culprits for this problem? I have looked through all the threads and a general search online, and nobody seems to have a solution other than replacing the transfer case gasket (is this only on the manual transmission?), some mention of an oil seal on the axle which needs replacing (again, is this applicable to an automatic? or, AWD manual?). Someone said they replaced the transmission I believe? Also, someone said they hadn't tightened the transmission pan oil drain plug, but this is not the problem here. I know that using some kind of transmission leak fix fluid would likely be a terrible idea? I realise that I must keep the fluid at the correct level otherwise the transmission will be ruined.

I would really appreciate any help with this! Thank you in advance for your time! 馃槦 馃

Registered
......some mention of an oil seal on the axle which needs replacing (again, is this applicable to an automatic? or, AWD manual?).......
Applicable to both. That sounds most likely if it鈥檚 actually under the washer bottle. It would be where passenger side axle slides into differential housing, automatics can leak ATF (red) there while manual trans would leak gear fluid there.

Another possibility is transmission front seal leak, but that usually leaks at lowest point of trans near braces from trans to engine block. Sometimes wind flow will push fluid to another point where it will drip when stopped, requiring a little investigation in locating actual point of leak.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Applicable to both. That sounds most likely if it鈥檚 actually under the washer bottle. It would be where passenger side axle slides into differential housing, automatics can leak ATF (red) there while manual trans would leak gear fluid there.

Another possibility is transmission front seal leak, but that usually leaks at lowest point of trans near braces from trans to engine block. Sometimes wind flow will push fluid to another point where it will drip when stopped, requiring a little investigation in locating actual point of leak.
Thank you for getting back to me! Would either of these require a major engine removal for replacement to your knowledge?

Registered
Thank you for getting back to me! Would either of these require a major engine removal for replacement to your knowledge?
Axle seal would only require removing passenger side axle to replace. Front transmission seal would require removing transmission and then torque converter to get to seal.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Axle seal would only require removing passenger side axle to replace. Front transmission seal would require removing transmission and then torque converter to get to seal.
Thank you! Okay, my next task then will be to clean the area really well so I can get a better idea where its coming from. I'm hoping its from the Axle seal as I have no garage for working on the car.

SDSU Alumnus
+1 for oil seal around the axle as a strong possibility

If cleaning the area and scrutinizing does not work out well, then you can also try a UV dye for inspection.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
+1 for oil seal around the axle as a strong possibility

If cleaning the area and scrutinizing does not work out well, then you can also try a UV dye for inspection.
I didn't even know about the UV dye! That sounds like an awesome idea, thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I have been under the car, looking for the source of the transmission oil leak. I jacked the car up, and took the passenger side wheel off, and the inner plastic cover directly next to the transmission. I cleaned the entire area with engine cleaner, the safe stuff that won't eat away the plastic parts. I washed it off, and cleaned it with rags. I then ran it for a couple of days, and checked it again. I have confirmed that the leak is not coming from around the axle seal. I took a few photos before and after for further investigation. This was a before picture of around the axle (taken when looking up laying on my back under car).

The oil looks like its coming from somewhere to the inner side of the transmission oil pan. I cannot be sure exactly where about's though in this area? All the bolts on the cover are tight. The oil accumulates on the underside of the tranny oil pan and very slowly drips from there? Here's an after picture of the affected area.

I wonder if the oil cover has cracked? Maybe from going over a bump in the road with it being lowered? I can't see any signs of a crack though? Maybe the next thing would be the UV dye?

I'm not sure if this is a re-conditioned transmission? If so, I was not aware of that? There is a plate bolted on the side that says, "FRS Remanufactured Component". I bought the car over 10 years ago and nobody said that the transmission had been replaced.

Does anyone have any feedback please? Thanks in advance!

Registered
An inexpensive option is to drain the trans fluid and change the gasket on the pan, should be sub $20 for the gasket. It's a bunch of 10mm bolts if i remember correctly. I've done that myself out on the street curb.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
An inexpensive option is to drain the trans fluid and change the gasket on the pan, should be sub $20 for the gasket. It's a bunch of 10mm bolts if i remember correctly. I've done that myself out on the street curb.
This sounds good! Thank you! Maybe with the car sitting for so long, like 6-7 years, the gasket may be weeping a bit of oil causing the drip. I will give it a try!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts