Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had all of the cable shifter bushings replaced and some bushings that are in the C-joint connected to the shifter and the shifter itself replaced with the 3sx short throw. That said my shifter still has super bad side to side slop while in gear, almost like you're in neutral. Honestly i cant think of anything else to replace at this point besides it may be the actual shifter cable adjustment which i would have no idea how to adjust or what to do with that. So if anyone would like to fill me in on how to do that feel free.

Also its had this amount of slop since i'v bought the car years ago, before the new short throw was installed. I had all the bushings replaced at the same time the shifter was put in. I expected all that to at least fix the side by side play a little bit.

If anyone has had the same problem and fixed it or has any ideas on what to do let me know please, thanks.

17,146 Posts
Check the shift tower on top of the trans there is a little plastic bushing that the side by side lever has on it where it contacts the groove for the main tower piece. We sell them on our site.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
Check the shift tower on top of the trans there is a little plastic bushing that the side by side lever has on it where it contacts the groove for the main tower piece. We sell them on our site.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
+1. I assume you only replaced the in-car bushings? There are additional bushings on top of the transmission, which you can usually see looking down in the engine bay without removing anything. There are actually brass replacement ones on ebay as well, but when i tried to install those, my shifting got way too stiff because there was too much friction, even when i lubed them.

To confirm the play is not from inside the car, pull the boot up and move the shifter from side to side. If the cables begin moving immediately then you know the play is on the other side of the cables (transmission side). If you can move the shifter without the cables moving, there is slop somewhere there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
+1. I assume you only replaced the in-car bushings? There are additional bushings on top of the transmission, which you can usually see looking down in the engine bay without removing anything. There are actually brass replacement ones on ebay as well, but when i tried to install those, my shifting got way too stiff because there was too much friction, even when i lubed them.

To confirm the play is not from inside the car, pull the boot up and move the shifter from side to side. If the cables begin moving immediately then you know the play is on the other side of the cables (transmission side). If you can move the shifter without the cables moving, there is slop somewhere there.
Ok so like you said, the cable on my shifter moves when the boot is off and i go side to side yes. That is exactly what mine is doing. Also i replaced the bushings on the transmission end as well. The ones you mentioned you can see when you look in the engine bay, i replaced with the brass bushings. I've also done the bushings in the shifter itself. Again i just dont understand why it still has play.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ok so like you said, the cable on my shifter moves when the boot is off and i go side to side yes. That is exactly what mine is doing. Also i replaced the bushings on the transmission end as well. The ones you mentioned you can see when you look in the engine bay, i replaced with the brass bushings. I've also done the bushings in the shifter itself. Again i just dont understand why it still has play.
If the cables are moving as soon as you move the shifter, and the transmission end is moving as soon as the cable moves, something on the transmission end may be loose. Its been a while, but i believe that are bolts that hold the brackets on the transmission side. You probably need two people, but the easiest thing is to see what moves on the transmission side when you move the shifter.

17,146 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you check this part on the shift tower where the side to side lever goes in?

Not yet, i'm going to this weekend with my friend. Its been really cold out and i work nightshift so i haven't gotten around to it yet. It very well could be that though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts