Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
And an auto at that. Given the added weight involved, you are looking at possibly the slowest 3000GT ever produced. I dunno, I guess a SOHC with auto might be close. Easily the slowest for the $$.

When the antenna goes up it is UGLY. You can see it on the right front fender in the pic.

I saw one just like that a dealership not long ago and I really wasn't impressed at all. His antenna was stuck extended full at all times and I was very put off by it.

Each to his/her own.

That really is a chick car, and yes Spyders came in all flavors, but I believe the color options were very limited.

·
3Si Corporate Shareholder
3,784 Posts
That's one car I would debage in a second.

I am VERY reluctant to believe that its an automatic. I think all Spyders came with manual transmissions standard. He probably just skipped over that query box.

And if not then what the hell were they thinking...

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
surgeon83 said:
They did not make a manual SL spyder. All SL spyders are automatics. All VR-4 spyders have 6-speeds.
i didnt know that...ya learn something new everyday

Spyder vr4's are so sweet! i think there's one on Ebay selling for 28k w/ LOW miles

·
IDIC
4,390 Posts
They were thinking "anyone who really wants a manual is going to have to shell out the extra $10K for the VR-4"

ya have a sport convertible, most enthusiasts are going to want a manual...automatic sports cars suck ;)

most likely it was just a business tactic..coincidentally, there were fewer SL spyder's produced overall than VR-4's.
And I think hans was talking about buying an SL spyder and doing the first 5-speed spyder =)

·
VR4 owner since 1993
584 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have an SL Spyder and love it. It is fast enough for normal driving and I am to old to race. I drive it around the twisties in Hagerstown at a high rate of speed and it handles very well.

I love to drive with the top down and enjoy the wind.

Would I like a manual? YES, but I wanted the hard top convertable more.

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
I don't think too many of you would complain about my XK8, it only comes with auto. Yeah, I know, some of you would have to have the XKR, so I guess you could complain...... :(

Regarding that brochure for the Spyder, pretty cool, but I can see that they retouched the pictures to remove that ugly antenna bump on the R front fender.

That was the first thing I noticed.

·
Tire Pumper Extraordinair
4,085 Posts
Hey! You have an XK8? That's on my list of "cars to get" in the future! How does it compare to a NA 3/S? How does it handle? I was thinking of getting a hardtop but the convertible is tempting...

Ted

Spirit said:
I don't think too many of you would complain about my XK8, it only comes with auto. Yeah, I know, some of you would have to have the XKR, so I guess you could complain...... :(

Regarding that brochure for the Spyder, pretty cool, but I can see that they retouched the pictures to remove that ugly antenna bump on the R front fender.

That was the first thing I noticed.

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
tbadiuk said:
Hey! You have an XK8? That's on my list of "cars to get" in the future! How does it compare to a NA 3/S? How does it handle? I was thinking of getting a hardtop but the convertible is tempting...

Ted

Got the hardtop, the vert is heavier and frankly I've never been in love with soft top cars. T-tops, sunroofs, those I like alot. South Texas isn't the place to drive an open car 90% of the time.

Compare to an N/A? Hmmm.... 70K vs. 35K. What do you think?

A stock N/A will get ripped from a start and all of the way up, the Jag is obviously a much nicer ride from a plush standpoint. Handling, the Jag is a dream around town, freeways, etc.

But....for twisties, for getting on it. The 3000 is a better car if you had them on a track and the power was equal. In fact, I don't think it would even be much of a race.

The Jag has no business even thinking about lining up with a VR-4, performance wise.

I've never driven an XKR, that's just too much money right now, from what I understand though, a VR-4 will still maul it badly.

FYI, both the Jags are governored at 155 top speed.

·
4,085 Posts
Thanks for the info! That's what I figured pretty much. I hate sqeeks and rattles so a rigid body (hard top) is probably better for my the the convertable.

On the price, they are dropping like a rock, which is good for me because I want to buy one. New, 100K+ CND (~70K US or so), used, I see 1998 hardtops with like 30k miles going for 45-50K CND (30K US). That is insane! I figure I'll be able to eventually get a 5-7 year old low milage XK8 for like 20K US which is a steal.

God I love our 'disposable' society...I'd never be able to afford full sticker! :D

Ted

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
Yeah, they drop real fast on the resale if you go back a few years. Having said that, there is a little more to the tale.

The only reason the XK8/R even exists is the Ford influence after buying Jag out a few years ago. The first few years there were a fair amount of Jaguar designers still involved. How can I put this....I would not buy any XK8 pre '99. Drove several, took a couple home for the weekend. I don't like squeaks and creaks either. They may be the same car, but they don't act nor drive like it. <edit> I have a '00.

You won't see the late models dropping on the resale like the earlier ones even given the same amount of time.

I wasn't ever gonna take the depreciation hit on a brand new one, never considered it. But I made a pest of myself and they got tired of me so I got a super offer on an early return lease. It was 6 mos old and had 4K on the clock. I saved almost 15K from sticker price, more than I had intended to spend originally, but I couldn't resist... :D

I feel like the original owner anyway, so it's all good.

·
4,085 Posts
I remember that there were some changes made in the 99 or 2000 model year, memory is a bit murky though.

The 99's and 00's seem to be dropping with the same pattern that the 98's dropped (ie- 99's are at about 40k US and 00's are about 45-50K us, looks to be about 5k/year drop USD).

I'm actually hoping that when they release the redesigned XK8(R) in 2004(5?) they will even drop faster! :D People with too much money leasing cars (and writing off the depreciation) = insanely fast price drops! :D

Ted

1 - 20 of 23 Posts