Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I know a guy that flipped his VR-4 and totaled it. He has two performance turbos, and I was wondering what kind of parts I would need to just put ONE turbo on my base 95 3000GT. I'm not planning on converting anything, just adding the turbo. Lemme know if any of you has done this before. And is it like putting a supercharger in? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Not planning on converting anything?? If you are planning on putting a single turbo in or even twin turbo's....it is going to take some serious modifications. Why don't you just take the motor from your friend's VR4 and swap it into your base? That will be the cheapest way for you to get turbo-charged.

·
Senior Member "Go Pig Go"
3,086 Posts
talk to gatecrasher .....he can explain the whole damn thing about swapping out a tt engines and putting them into non-turbos

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
yup...gatecrahser is the man ;)

·
Registered
856 Posts
You can't really put a single turbo on a V configuration engine. You've got 2 exhaust manifolds, so if u hook the turbine up to one exhaust manifold, your airflow is all kinds of messed up. You could always pipe the exhaust manifolds down to one scavenger for the turbine, but I hear it results in "less than desirable" header length. This is why you don't see VR-4's going to singles like the supras/rx7s

.jon

·
Registered
248 Posts
if thats the case then why is it that people have put
single superchargers on their cars?
If our cars have the v config and are not compatible with single turbos shouldnt be the same with superchargers?

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
ILanda said:
if thats the case then why is it that people have put
single superchargers on their cars?
If our cars have the v config and are not compatible with single turbos shouldnt be the same with superchargers?
Superchargers don't run off exaust gasses. They run off a pulley attached to the crank. Totally different way of producing boost.

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SO basically it'd be cheaper/easier to buy a supercharger and put it on than trying to get turbos.

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
Basically, Yes. A supercharger is a much more economical and realistic way to produce boost from an N/A. If you indeed had a full turbo engine to just drop in at very little cost, then that would be a way to go, but there are many other mods you would have to do to get the full benefit of that motor. For those who don't have such a luxury, a supercharger is the way to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts