Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did alittle searching and it was hard to find info about an idea like this. Has anyone thought of something like this, like exhaust exiting right behind the front wheel or in front of the rear wheel?
Could an idea like this be feasable? I'm not saying this would be "cool" or "rice" or anything, just different. I'm not really sure if this would help out the turbos, better spool time etc? If this has been talked about i'll just delete this.

Toni

·
Ex-Owner
1,284 Posts
icyvr4 talked about this a while back. he said that you can't go through the sideskirts, the pipes would have to be below them and would not look good. but to answer your question, YES it can be done and it is EASY to do... the hard part is making it look good.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
This was discussed like 1-2 years ago and there was someone that was doing it, but I never heard any more about the project. If you look under the car you'll see that theres no place to rout the exhaust beneath the passenger compartment where it wouldn't hang down several inches. It's not reall feasable. But anything IS possible... Cut the floor pan out in the back seat and weld a "tunnel" in that goes side to side in the rear of the car. Run the piping down the stock location untill right before the rear wheels and turn 90 degrees on both sides and rout to piping in the aformentioned tunnel...

Not cheap but it'd be "different."

·
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats probably why it hasn't been done or really talked about too much. It was justa thought i guess. Maybe if i get enough money and a TT i'll try it ( right...... ).

Toni

·
I love my car
1,482 Posts
just so you know its also illegal

the exhuast will circle with your tires and get sucked back into your window and kill you if you get enough.

·
Matt Sherman
3,898 Posts
Cryptic80 said:
the exhuast will circle with your tires and get sucked back into your window and kill you if you get enough.

ant: give it a try;):p

matt

·
Ex-Owner
1,284 Posts
then what about the lightnings or other side exhaust cars?

·
Settle the Score
5,619 Posts
Cryptic80 said:
just so you know its also illegal

riiiiiiiiight maybe it is in Canada but not in the US

my dads 97 F-150 has it right before the tire on the pass. side(stock)lightnings have them right before the exhaust, and another ford the Cobra R

and where did you get this circle around stuff at????
:confused:

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
it wouldn't hang down more than an inch and a half (and that only under the axis of the front wheels, if you did it right. trick is to use three smaller diameter pipes for each side (six in all) and route them around the front corner of the sideskirt into a three pipe collector about two feet down the sideskirt then into a nice big 3" pipe going the rest of the length. six pipes an inch in diameter would

cross sectional area of my 3" exaust pipe = 7.07 square inches
cross sectional area of 6 1.2" diameter pipes = 7.07 square inches

seems to me it would work with just a skoche more back pressure.

this is at least my current theory for my new project :) so if someone could point me in the direction of cheap T321 pipe, i'd appreciate it :)

Matt

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Another consideration is sound... I've heard that cars with side exhausts sound like sh*t... something about only hearing half of the cylinders firing on each side. I also heard that's why they changed the Viper from the side design, didn't sound as throaty. Anybody know more about this?

·
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Velocity do you have any pics or at least know this guy's contact info? It would be a cool thing to check out how it looks and how he did it.

Matt::ak47:

Toni

·
I love my car
1,482 Posts
you konw what. I learned the circle and kill you shit when i was in oklahoma. I was doing some training as an inspector and the guy told me that. Its basically illegal and will kill you. now for the dodge vipers and lightnings and shit i asked him about that. I cant remember what his answer was.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Damon said:
I've heard that cars with side exhausts sound like sh*t... something about only hearing half of the cylinders firing on each side. I also heard that's why they changed the Viper from the side design, didn't sound as throaty. Anybody know more about this?
the viper lost its sidepipes due to federal regulations, it had nothing to do with the sound.. but, sidepipes will be returning on the 03 models..

- eddie -

·
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dunno i think that looks pretty cool, well from what i can see at least. It might be easier to do it on an NA cause the backpressure of using smaller piping might not hurt power too much. It would be nice to see those tips alittle better, maybe someone will come out with some better pics.

Toni

1 - 18 of 18 Posts