Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting my exhaust here very soon and I'm going to have a local shop do the stainless steel piping. Should I get them to do stainless steel welds? I don't know even if these guys can do that around here, lol. Or should regular welding be fine? :)

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
Yeah Chad, they "should" be able to do it. They will need stainless steel welding wire and they can probably get away with using a regular 75/25 mix of Argon/CO2, but only if they are doing single-pass welds where they won't be building up too much excess heat, which can mess up the properties of stainless. That would probably work fine for your exhaust.

The best way, especially if they don't already have 75/25 on hand, is an Argon/CO2/Helium mix. It is sold under a number of brand names, the ones I've seen used are called "Tri-Mix" and "Stainshield Light."

I don't know of any "good" exhaust shops around Lex. There is some guy in Clay City that will do it....I've heard. You might get into spending a lot of money to have a custom stainless system built.

Good Luck :)

Chris

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uhm... I might just go with regular welds then. :eek: ;)

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
Any real exhaust shop should already have the stuff to do it. It's not uncommon or rare. I would definatly go with SS welds if the rest of the system is going to be stainless.

Chris

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
What is the difference between Regular Welding and Stainless Steal Welding?????:confused:

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
Stainless steel won't rust.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts