Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 3000gt base
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, so I’ve been reading the threads and looking at peoples sohc turbo builds and I’ve been re-inspired to turbo my sohc. Little back story on it, it was a junk yard find (non salvage title) was junked for stupid reasons like fuel pump and window regulator… I got it for $650, $750 delivered to my house.

so I started working on it, after draining the tank, replacing fuel pump, re-lining the fuel tank, replacing the fuel pump relay, replacing all the gaskets, doing an overhaul on the motor, replacing the cv axels, 3 alternators (don’t buy used alternators :/ ) suspension and wheels, and rebuilding the interior I’ve got it to this point, running and driving like a dream, put like 2000 miles on it in the past month alone

so I’ve gotten it to this point by myself, and Since I’ve bought the car I’ve wanted to turbo it, so I have a chinesium 50mm turbo (bought it from a friend) along with a 50mm bov, and some other goodies with it like aem lines and whatnot (I can sell them and buy something better)

So long story short I wanted hear your guys advice on turbo’ing my 3000gt, should I use the turbo I have (got it for a different build) or use something smaller, ecu’s or tuning once I get it turbo, precautions I should take, exhaust manifolds, intakes, intercoolers. Any advice would be nice, I’m a mechanic and pretty handy, worked on stock turbo vehicles but never put a turbo in a non turbo car.Please don’t say “engine swap it” because I’m weird and like things that aren’t supposed to exist.

·
Registered
1998 3000gt base
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also for the Eagle eyed in the after photo of the engine bay, the previous gen coolant overflow tank I put there because I hate the one built into the bumper, this one is easier and more reliable in my opinion

·
Marshall Taylor
1,333 Posts
It’s great you found and saved the 99. The SOHC was not built with high performance in mind. That being stated, I’d suggest appreciating the car for what it is. Otherwise, find a donor VR-4 car you can do the rebuild on and swap the complete drive train over. If you turbo the SOHC you are still not going to be happy with the performance and the breakage of parts you could very well experience. Good luck on whatever you do.

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,506 Posts
What happened to the original post of this a few days ago?

It depends on the budget, resources, and expected output/result/goal really... you get what you put into it, and cheap will not be the recommended route to take.

IMO, I would just appreciate it for what it is and channel your effort into something else. If you feel that you will keep it for a very long time (especially through all of the ups and downs), then that might be enough justification. Ultimately, the only approval that you need is your own - not ours.

-sent from my Galaxy S22 Ultra

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
That is a very lucky find. Personally I would purchase a donor VR4 or TT Stealth to swap the drivetrain over. It would be a sizeable project, but ultimately the correct way to do it and fully enjoy the benefits.

·
Registered
1998 3000gt base
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a 98 vr4 that needs some work, currently deciding if I want to put the motor, trans, awd system and everything else in my car and have a 99 with a vr4 swap, or do what everyone else does and have a 98 vr4 with a 99 front end. The vr4 I found needs a lot of work, the owner died before finishing the motor rebuild and I’ve been talking with his wife and trying to decipher everything he had and did to it. Nothing I’m not familiar with, but if I end up spending more money to get it running then I should probably find another donor car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts