Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to fix up my car's exterior. I am going to had all the small door dings and roof dents pulled and then I want to get my car repainted.

A friend has said rather than pay out the bum for a quality paint job, I should just key my car and make a claim with my insurance.

He has a good point, my $500 comprehension deductible would be a lot less than a pearl white paintjob.

Any thoughts?

·
Lovbyts
4,003 Posts
:mad: NO!:mad:

Remember Karma, what goes around comes around and it will probably cost you more in the long run.

How would this be, get your car all nice and pretty and some ******* in a 1970 Chevy PU totals it. Your are without for months then you get your new car and some old lady creams you.

Don't do it, may make sense in some cheap illegal way but your (and ours) rates will probably still go up.

Next time that idiot next to you decides not to use his or her turn signal and doesn’t look before changing lanes hold your ground and grin and bear it. It will save you the $500 deductible also.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
RickyN29 said:
I want to fix up my car's exterior. I am going to had all the small door dings and roof dents pulled and then I want to get my car repainted.

A friend has said rather than pay out the bum for a quality paint job, I should just key my car and make a claim with my insurance.

He has a good point, my $500 comprehension deductible would be a lot less than a pearl white paintjob.

Any thoughts?
Don't be a retard.

Why on earth would you key your own car? When you make a claim on your insurance your rates go up, and will remain elevated as long as you stay with that insurance company. So, in the long run it will be more than just your measly $500.

Not to mention in the back of your mind you'll know the truth.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
I'm glad to see there are people still interested in doing things the <b>right</b> way. I fully expected to see posts listing other ways to cheat the insurance companies.

Stick with the honest route. It will take longer to get what you want but at least you will have earned it.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Sure, do it. But be prepared to get busted and spend some time in jail for insurance fraud. You'd be amazed how easily you can get caught, too!

BTW get your comp deductible down to $0 RIGHT NOW.

Call your agent and see how much more it will cost you per year. It will probably be around $50/year more.

That means you can go 10 years before you spend more money, and most people have a comp claim a LOT more often than 10 years!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Um, considering the minimum sentence for insurance fraud most places includes at least 1-2 years of jail time, I'd say that doing things the honest way is a good idea. Plus, even if you don't get caught, do you really want this:

"Hey man, nice car. I bet it's fun to drive." - some guy

"Thanks" - you (thinking to yourself - 'I practically stole it... I'm a criminal with a stolen car... how can I enjoy that.')

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
JeremyG said:
Call your agent and see how much more it will cost you per year. It will probably be around $50/year more.
It would have costed me $350/year more to go from $500 to $0.

Don't try and cheat your insurance company like that. Wait until you get in an accident and then have it taken care of.

Regardless of what your doing, that's no better than a common theif.

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
It's crazy hairbrained schemes like this one that make insurance rates so damn high.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Insurance fraud is BAD, MMMKAY....:p

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Sure, do it. But be prepared to get busted and spend some time in jail for insurance fraud. You'd be amazed how easily you can get caught, too!
I'd be very surprised if they could catch you for something like that. Even if they "know" you did it, there is absolutely no way to prove it.

Anyhow, I wouldn't feel the least bit bad about an insurance company being cheated on a claim - they are in the business of screwing you out of money. A friend of mine has gotten almost $30k out of his insurance company for various things so far (one at-fault accident, one theft, two "no-fault" situations that were actually his fault), but he is the only person I have ever met that gets his money's worth for insurance - myself and the rest of my friends get royally F***ed on premiums for no reason.

Now before you guys start to hate me for being immoral, please note that I would NEVER go this route to get a paint job - I just won't insult someone who does.

I would however consider breaking my own windows to get new glass because old glass becomes unsafe (micro-scratches make visibility bad under ceartain angles of sunlight and headlights). What is the general insurance company opinion of replacing glass that is not cracked but is otherwise dangerous (so that I don't have to go to the trouble of breaking my own windshield).

-Chris Wood

·
Banned
1,218 Posts
Regardless of whether or not you get caught. How bout the fact that it's just a low-life, weasly, worm-like thing to do??:confused: Good Lord, I can't believe people actually think like that. Can't wait to get my next insurance hike because some dumb ass decided to "key his own car." Are you for real???

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
late said:
Regardless of whether or not you get caught. How bout the fact that it's just a low-life, weasly, worm-like thing to do??:confused: Good Lord, I can't believe people actually think like that. Can't wait to get my next insurance hike because some dumb ass decided to "key his own car." Are you for real???
See.. even Supra owners agree ;).

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Multiades said:
- myself and the rest of my friends get royally F***ed on premiums for no reason.
For no reason? Part of the reason is shit like keying your own car! Your advocating thnigs that raise your rates...

many insurance companys will replace your glass without a deductible if it shows sign of wear (excessive scratching or sandblasting). It'll be covered under comprehensive and you have no Deductible. 21st Century and Metlife are a couple that offer that.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
jmillan said:
I thought that comprehensive claims doesn't effect your premiums? That's what the claims adjuster told me when my car was scratched and a little dented while parked.

Yep, you are right. They don't directly effect your premiums (ie. they can't raise them because of a comp claim). However in the big picture, if a lot of people abuse it, the rates will of course go up (in general, for everyone).

BTW check your PM's :)

·
stirrin' up truble
725 Posts
Bah.....

I bet nothing is ever your fault. You never do anything wrong. It's always someone else's problem.

This country needs an enema. :(

1 - 20 of 48 Posts