Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty big system and rely on my capacitor already to keep the neon lights, speakers, and subwoofers to keep from having my battery light on constantly (it turns off if i accelerate, go figure). If i got an unorthidox underdrive pulley set, would it make this worse? And is there a way to get around this with still having a pulley? thanks

Matt D.

·
I love the 1st gens..
2,282 Posts
Yes..It would make light dimming even worse. Not recommended with a big stereo setup. I have a pretty large stereo with capacitors, even 10 guage power wire run to the deck and i know a underdrive
pulley would not be good...Unless someone can prove differently.:(

4,448 Posts
sounds like you shouldn't get one. almost sounds as if you should get a new alternator!! either that or get a 1 and a .5 farad cap and then add the pulley. a new battery might help?? or the connections should be cleaned....

·
I love the 1st gens..
2,282 Posts
Yeah Kevin, I agree with you. Sounds like time for
him to get a yellow cap and a rewound alternator...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well im about to hook up a 1 farad capacitor and how much does it cost to rewind an alternator? Then would the pulleys work?

Matt D.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Just fyi - the reason the battery light goes off when u drive, is because the alternator is driven off the crank. the higher in the rpm range you are, the harder its working (to an extent).

.jon

·
og
4,293 Posts
you do not want to put a pulley on your car, pretty much period with all the stuff you have going on. have you thought about running the neons with their own power source, i don't know crap about effects (lights, serious stereo info etc) but i had heard something about that being a possibility. even with that tho i'm not sure you want to run that pulley, it will significantly drain your battery to power that stuff. try some of kev's (unclesam) suggestions (cleaning, alternator etc), see how your voltage holds up and then post back up, we can perhaps give you some better advice then. i def wouldn't recommend the pulley right now tho, hope this helps, safe travels.

- mike

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i got a five farad cap

but my my car turns off sometimes when im idling at a light and i got my system up and this with the U.D. pully and im looking at getting a bigger ampage alternator but whats the stock ampage on our alternators????

·
Registered
160 Posts
Talk with someone at a car stereo store. They know all about re-winding alternators, adding a 2nd battery, etc. A Magnolia Hi-Fi near where I live has a Ford Explorer completely filled with speakers and subs. Obviously it sounds awesome, but it has nine 12-volt batteries. I don't know what they did with the alternator to produce enough power, but it runs fine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't know if this helps but I had a 93 eclipse with neons, two amps w/compasitor, and a ud pulley and I didn't have any problems. The lights would dim a little at idle but that was about it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Underdrive pulley?

Hey guys,
I have no mods on my Stealth, non turbo. I am considering a few diffrent options of what I would like to do, mod wise. I know that someone told me that an underdrive pulley would make a big diffrence in the car. Can someone tell me what the underdrive pulley is, what it does, and if someone has pictures of one, it would be great. Also, if anbody knows someone that has a N/A 3/S with a underdrive puley, could you give me there sn so I could e-mail them and ask them how long it took to install, what you need, and hw muchit costs (which, is my biggest issue. I'm worse than a college kid.... I'm in high school, so you KNOW i'm poor). Thanks a lot

Pepi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts