Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a 3kgt. when i drove it the other day, I ground gears shifting into 3rd. almost every time I shifted. I read somewhere I think that there wasa problem with spider gears? is this related? thanks?

·
3/S Addict
1,561 Posts
It was a bad 3rd gear sincro most likely, either that or you are just not used to the way 3K's drive. I am leaning more toward the first though.

·
Registered
466 Posts
prolly the syncro, 3k's are easy to shift relative to most other cars i've driven

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whats your opinion

does anyone have any idea how much that is to fix. I called a dealership and they said 1-2,000 dollars! it is a 93 vr-4 that has been stored winters and has 75,000miles on it. is it worth it? i really like the car.he wants $9800. i think he knows that the trans. is bad, that is why it is so cheap, huh? please let me know what you think. thank you.

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
I don't think you mentioned if it's a VR-4, SL, or base model, but that's just a bit under the going price on a working VR-4 in the Atlanta, GA area - Not worth it if something is wrong with it. I drove one VR-4 that didn't seem to have anything wrong with it other than the lifter tick for 7800, but unfortunately I still don't have that much cash right now and I don't know anywhere that will give out a car loan on anything older than a 95. (I'm 18 and working part time at the moment, so money doesn't exactly flood in to my pockets, hehe).

I'd say wait on it and find another one, unless you can talk him down in price. I've yet to see a VR-4 on auto-trader in my area for the KBB value - they're all under it.

EDIT- Just noticed in your second post you said that it's a VR-4. If that's all that's wrong with it, talk the guy down and put a good Kormex tranny in it - someone else here can give you some contact info for Kormex... Or just wait and find the perfect one for you, don't get one just because it's available.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts