Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Keep'n 'em spooled
2,791 Posts
Heater core being bypassed won't hurt anything.
FYI, oil pump replacement is recommended at 120K service, but is not necessary if your oil pressure is ok. You would have to install an aftermarket oil pressure sensor to get a real reading, but good oil pressure is high teens to low 20's at hot idle, an increase of 10 psi per 1000 rpms. So, say it's 20 psi at idle (750 rpms), you'll want to see 30 psi before 2000, 40 before 3000, etc. The stock oil pressure gauges are not accurate, but are fairly consistent in their readings. On a stock gauge you would look for Cold start – 2 ticks above 1st big hash mark, Warm idle – 2 ticks below 1st big hash mark, 3K rpm warm – 2 ticks above 1st big hash mark. If pressure at hot idle is low, say 11-12 psi, it's usually an indication of worn bearings, should be checked.

·
Keep'n 'em spooled
2,791 Posts
1. I saw many posts talk about prime oil pump, basically they said unplug the CAS then crank it for prime, and see the oil show up in valve cover, and they also said better to remove all the spark plugs when doing the prime. This meaning I should take off the the valve cover and manifold firstly, should crank it with valve cover and manifold off or I need put it back after removing the spark plugs then crank the engine?
You don't have to take either valve cover off, just the intake plenum to access the rear 3 spark plugs. You can see if oil is reaching the head through the oil cap opening.

2. There are also some people said use RTV for the oil pump installaition, so what we suggest? the OEM gasket or RTV or both?
I'd follow what is in the service manual. You'll use the OEM gasket, but I don't remember if RTV is recommended in a few spots or not. Certainly don't want to put RTV all over the gasket.

3. please let me know if there is some good write up for oil pump change, thanks!
There are at least a half dozen videos on youtube on changing the oil pump. You should also check the Wiki and DIY guides on this forum too. I remember Toni had created a procedure for changing the oil pump with the engine in the car but don't know if I could find it or not.

4. the very last one, is it possible just to change the crank seal without changing the pump? Just pull the old seal out and push the new one in or still need remove the pump?
I'm not sure, but if you're going that far in why not just change the whole oil pump? Maybe the service manual answers this one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.