Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
^Human 3S Wikipedia
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Shooter83's 100% Complete AWD Conversion (pic heavy)

it is clear that many have benefited from my info on the AWD conversion process, yet nobody has been kind enough to give credit where it's due..

with that said:

If any of my AWD conversion threads have helped you on your journey to converting your FWD car to accept the AWD rear subframe. then please give credit where it is due, and share the info that helped you become AWD, by adding a simple link to this thread, in your thread. if not, i will forever frown upon you...

Shooter83's 100% Complete AWD Conversion

Z11A-FWD
Z16A-AWD with AWS
Z15A-AWD w/o AWS

Now obviously nobody has to go as far as I did just to go AWD on a FWD Z11A car. This method is a 100% Z11A to Z15A chassis conversion, but 75% of what i did is not required to simply install the Z15/6A AWD rear end to a Z11A chassis. My "One day AWD conversion" thread will show you the quickest way to go AWD. If you have the money, or can save up for an AWD car, do it! I went this far with my conversion because of that fact that an AWD R/T TT or VR4 was financially out of the question for me, so i went all out to have as close to the real thing. Plus, I knew I could trade my skill and time to make myself an AWD converted car that offers the perfect fitment of a factory AWD car. i'm not going to lie either, i also went this far with my conversion so i could say i did. ;)

On to the conversion!

Most people don't understand why you cannot simply install the Z16A (AWD) rear end in a Z11A (FWD) car. I will do my best to first explain why.

For reasons unknown, Mitsubishi decided to design and install two different rear ends for the FWD car & AWD car. Why they didn’t simply use the AWD rear end without the rear diff or c/v axles for FWD is beyond me. For whatever reason, in order for them to use different rear suspensions, they had to design different mounting methods for each rear end.

First, on the rear of the FWD cars, the rear struts are mounted closer towards the front of the car. While in AWD cars, the struts are farther back towards the rear of the car to clear the c/v axle. Because of this, our platform has two different types of inner fender wells/strut braces, one for AWD, and one for FWD. here is an animated picture I made showing the difference of the AWD and FWD car's rear inner fender wells:

Second,
the FWD rear end uses trailing arm mounts that are installed on the frame rail, while the AWD cars have a mounting plate to connect the rear sub-frame. You can see this difference in post 3.

Third, the FWD cars rear end is held in by 4 studs coming out of the frame. The rear of the AWD rear end only uses two of these and they are longer and thicker then the ones used to hold in the FWD rear end. You can see this in post 4.

And finally, the FWD cars have 2 of the 4 needed studs used to hold in the drive shaft. The rearward set contains both studs, but the forward set is missing both studs in the brace. You can see the Z16A brace and Z11A brace in the 9th post.

Here are some interesting pics I took of the extracted Z16A parts for my conversion:

All of the drive train parts were given to me by my good friend AndrewBox who wreaked his 94 VR4 back in early 2005. So the stars aligned perfectly for me to do this conversion. The best bonus is the fact that my Stealth ES is the same car that my mother brought home in 1994 when I was 11, the very FIRST 3S I ever laid my eyes on. Because my car is so special to me, going all the way with this conversion was a must. I wanted it to look like Mitsubishi made a mistake in the Nagoya plant back in the first week of October 1990, when my car was made. Like when when Mitsubishi switched the assembly line from AWD to FWD production, they accidentally slipped out one AWD Stealth ES!

I did this conversion using zero fabrication at all. I used all factory Z16A parts from a parted out AWD shell that I bought for $100 from Mike91TT. My original intent for the AWD shell was to swap my ES over to it. Unfortunately because of the high amount of internal rusting and rot I later found in it, I could not justify building my car on to it. The rust growing inside the unibody would have certainly become a serious safety issue in the years to come. That’s when the AWD shell became the organ donor, and my ES became the patient. As the years go on, the numbers for the AWD cars for our platform decreases from accidents, rust, part outs, etc. I gave us back one more by removing and saving every one of the precious and unique Z16A AWD frame parts, and installing them on to my car.

This was a tremendous amount of work! But I can say now that it's complete, it definitely out weighs the price of a factory AWD car (remember, i got the drive train for free;)). Because I did the *body conversion* for around $200. What really sets my conversion apart from every other AWD conversion, is the fact that my rear struts do not sit at an *extreme angle* that requires use of a rubber bushing. The struts sit just as Mitsubishi intended for AWD cars. And oh yeah, the insurance savings for having an ES is great!:D

Here’s the original thread on Florida3S.com, which followed my conversion in chronological order: My AWD Conversion - Florida's Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Community!

·
^Human 3S Wikipedia
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: Shooter83's 100% Complete AWD Conversion

Next I removed the factory Z11A trailing arm bracket. What you have to do is remove a portion of the frame rail in order to fit the AWD forward sub-frame mount. I used a grinder, cutting wheel, and a Sawzall.

I modified this pic from Barefoot (with permission), because I forgot to take a picture of mine trailing arm mounts before I started cutting.

The end result after cutting

The Z16A AWD mounts fit perfectly in place :)

This is a diagram i made of the actual Z16A frame rail (highlighted in green). So I had a general idea of how to notch out the Z11A rail.

Here is what the Z16A rails looked like under the mounts. The diagram above was made from a screen cap of this video.
YouTube - z16a frame rails

it's really starting to come along!

·
^Human 3S Wikipedia
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

I was too excited to call it quits after getting the bottom mounts in. so I decided to go back out and figure out what to do with the issue of the rear studs on my FWD car, that are too short for the AWD sub-frame.

In this first picture, you'll see the two studs coming out of the frame. One stud is X'ed out because it will no longer be used. It’s only for the FWD rear end. it could stay there as it doesn't bother anything, but I will cut it off because I do not want ANY trace that my car was ever FWD;) anyway the green stud is what we'll be paying attention too.

Here is how I accessed the stud with the green arrow; I cut a "U" shape with a cutting wheel, and bent back the metal to make a door.

A better view at the top of the stud and how it’s held in to the frame.

Here you can see the difference between the FWD stud, AWD stud, and their sleeves. I still need to enlarge the hole in my frame a bit so the AWD stud can fit though.

·
^Human 3S Wikipedia
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Alright! Here’s a nice update! I decided to start test fitting the parts and I got a little carried away because I wanted to take some pics.

The first three pics show the rear sub-frame mount stud that I removed from the AWD car, after removing the smaller and shorter FWD stud I had to enlarge the hole a little bit so the AWD stud would drop in. the 3rd pic is showing the difference in size, I still need to cut the second FWD stud off that is pictured to the right.

You can see a big difference between the Z16A AWD rear wheelhouse on the left, and the Z11A FWD rear wheelhouse on the right.

AWD rear wheelhouse and strut brace installed.

AWD rear sub-frame installed in an ES:)

Drivers side rear sub-frame front mount

These next two pics show the outside view of the AWD rear wheelhouse and suspension

·
^Human 3S Wikipedia
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Here’s the last part I needed to remove from my car to complete my conversion. As I mentioned in the first post, the Z11A FWD cars have two of the four studs needed to secure the drive-shaft in place. You can see what I mean in the pics. The last 2 pics are after welding, and undercoating.

·
^Human 3S Wikipedia
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

It's on the ground sitting on it's own weight!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! :D

All wheel steering delete, and the reassembled rear suspension.

Horrendous wheel gap with the unsettled Tein S-Techs + very light car.

AWD ES FTMFW! I wish i didn't have to put the fuel tank back in, seeing that rear diff makes me happy:)

·
^Human 3S Wikipedia
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Installed a 1-9/16 freeze plug in the rear diff to block off the all wheel steering pump gear hole and complete the AWS delete. Also put the six speed back together. And surprisingly, I got it in the car easily with my girlfriends help. I then seam sealed the inside of the inner fender wells, welded the in the larger sleeves/studs for the AWD rear sub-frame. And folded down the doors I cut to access them. Then I welded in the strut braces, and the rear speaker/seatbelt/seat bracket. I only have pics of the strut braces though, because I forgot to snap a pic of the seat brackets before I installed the rear interior. I’ll get a pic next time I can though.

It's Done! :)

·
Pucking Legendary
2,102 Posts

sweet conversion. The exhaust is a little raspy for my liking but overall the coolest ES ive ever seen. Esp. the boost gauge.

·
^Human 3S Wikipedia
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
21,277 Posts

Incredible. I'd rep you for the great information, and awesome work, but it seems I already did in the recent past. :p

·
Flasher
9,682 Posts

Wow, love the gauges. Awesome job!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts