Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed that my 6-speed manual shifter (in my 1991 VR4) has a lot of "left to right" wiggle in it and feels very loose. I pulled the boot to inspect it, and have attached a short video below of what I'm seeing. I'm almost 100% sure this is not up to spec. ;) Just curious what I can do to tighten it up, or are there some bushings I'm missing? A part # I can order? I've done some research through old posts, but mostly I'm seeing adjustments to the transmission linkage... but this seems different to me (I think). Thanks!

Video:

Photo of loose connection:

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,094 Posts
I agree with Mr. Striker.
You are definitely missing at least one (probably more) of the bushings in that shifter setup.
If you have funding, I would go ahead and replace ALL of the bushing shown at 3sx.
If not, try to figure out which ones your missing or worn out, and replace at least those..

Good Luck, it's an easy fix!

Bob.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much! I've ordered the full pack of OEM Shift Lever Bushings from 3SX. I'll update this post once I have them installed, and hopefully, no more shifty shifter! :)

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,094 Posts
You will NOT be disappointed.
Years ago, a co-worker and I designed a short shifter (see sig) and we re-used all the stock bushings in our design.
With fresh bushings, you will get a fresh feel.

If you need help with removal, swap or install, just post up, I'll try to help.

Bob.

17,252 Posts
You might want to look under the hood and check for play in the shifter tower bushing:

its responsible for the side to side motion (up and down on the tower)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts