Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard about doing this in a thread a while back and I didn't actually know it was possible. But today on my way home from work, for some reason, I decided to try it, and it worked. I soon discovered that 2500RPM (which is pretty much where I shift anyway for gas economy) is the sweet spot for shifting without using the clutch. Now my question is, is this something that would be good to continue to do? Sure it can save the clutch, but what about the transmission? When I shift without the clutch, there was no grinding, although I had to use just a little bit more force with shifting, but nothing excessive. Thankies.

·
Banned
10,070 Posts
if you do it right there's nothing wrong, i do it all the time, not only at 2.5k, i can shift basically at any RPM even at redline or 700 rpm. you have to get used to it.
make sure you don't grind though, cause there go your synchros;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
You can downshift or upshift at any speed, provided the rpm's are where they need to be in order to get into the next gear. I drive a semi for a living and the only time I use the clutch is when starting or stopping. That's with about 15 gears. Big trucks don't have sychros. ;) GRIND IT 'TILL YOU FIND IT!:D

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Doesn't seem worth it to me. Sure it will save you clutch, but if you're not really good at it end grind it then you risk frying your syncros. I'd rather have to deal with the natural life of the clutch using it normally than have to deal with replacing syncros.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts