Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I somehow managed to rip my rubber shifter cable bushing in half, which obviously disabled my car for awhile. I am trying to locate a replacement bushing, but NOBODY has them. The Mitsubishi dealer here really sucks and they said they could order one, but the picture he showed me was of a metal "cup shaped" one. He said that is what the computer calls for on a 93 VR4, but it looks nothing like mine. Anybody know where I can order one from, or have one they would sell me?

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
Could you be more specific on the part you need. Is it located on the transaxle end of the shifter cables? I have the CAPS program on that page but can't really see the part you're describing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is the one located under the airbox(sort of) towards the front of the car. It is a round rubber peice w/ a washer on top of it, and a pin sticks through the hole to keep them in place.

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
If it is the bushing connecting the shifter cables to the shaft-held in place by a cotter pin, CAPS calls it a: gearshift linkage washer-plain; Mitsu part #450154.

The metal "cup shaped" bushing your dealer is referring to, is used at the other end of the cable where it attaches to the shifter.

If it's actually the eyebolt on the end of the cable; I don't think you will be able to purchase that part individually-without buying new cables.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that is the part I am trying to explain. That is what I had feared.(buying a whole new cable.) How hard is it to reinstall a new cable, and about how much do they run? I was told that I can fix it using a washer on top of the old rubber bushing. Would this be stable? I mean, considering a cotter pin is the only thing holding in place anyways, would this be a bad alternative?(temporarely?)

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
The cable looks like a PITA to replace. I would think...not a difficult job, just a bunch of stuff in the way.

If you have the entire bushing, can you epoxy it back together? If so, use the slowest setting epoxy you can find to ensure the strongest bond.

Or, I bet if you went to your local Lowe's or hardware store, you could find something to replace that bushing with. It might take a little ingenuity to make it work and it'll probably be as good as new.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is this CAPS thing? It sounds really helpful. How/where can I get the instuctions to redo the entire cable? I've looked for a rubber peice to rig something up, but I cant find anything close. I have been driving with the washer set up I mentioned above, and it seems to be working really well.(for now) Thanks for the help by the way.

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
You can download the CAPS program here: http://www.stealth-3000gt.st/FAQ-CAPS.htm . I hope you have broadband or are very patient. :D

Or you can purchase Vineet Singh's "Manual on CD" for about $35 which includes 5 or 6 different maintenance manuals for our cars PLUS the CAPS program. This was one of the smartest purchases I have made for my car. You can find it here: http://www.manualcd.com/

I'm happy to help. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts