Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I recently picked up a shift knob on eBay to replace my stock setup, and I have a few questions.

I found that my boot was attached to my shift knob by a zip tie of all things.. is this the way it's supposed to be done?

The knob I got was screw on with various plastic thread inserts to get the right fit, but it screws on at this point.. it doesn't seem to go down as far as the stock knob, so the boot looks rather stretched compared to before..

Does anyone have pictures of a Momo knob installed? Do they really vibrate loose like I hear? and how are you SUPPOSED to attach the boot?

All help is greatly appreciated.. I searched high and low for answers, especially on the Momo knob - everyone seems to have the Cobra or F-16, but no one seems to have them installed with pix!

This is the knob I got on eBay.. maybe someone else has this one as well..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1870565965

Thanks
Az

·
Registered
434 Posts
My shift knob is a carbon fiber one and the boot attaches to a piece of plastic that came from the factory when it was new. I don't know about the zip tie. It looks like your knob is like the ones that they sell at walmart and those have three allen set screws located under a cover plate at the bottom of the knob. If it is the same then you will need to find the insert that fits the best and most snug and set it there with the set screws. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brody_martin said:
My shift knob is a carbon fiber one and the boot attaches to a piece of plastic that came from the factory when it was new. I don't know about the zip tie. It looks like your knob is like the ones that they sell at walmart and those have three allen set screws located under a cover plate at the bottom of the knob. If it is the same then you will need to find the insert that fits the best and most snug and set it there with the set screws. Hope that helps.
No, there are no "set screws".. there is a huge threaded shaft, into which you screw in a plastic piece with yet another "sized" thread.. you find the one which fits stock, as I have, it's just attaching the boot to the knob that is vexing me.

·
Registered
434 Posts
my boot from the factory has a plastic piece about the sice of a quarter and about 1/2 inch in depth that the boot attaches to. I don't know why yours doesn't I would try to find that piece or a way to zip tie it from the underside. GL

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a Razo ceramic ball shift knob, which was awesome. It had the universalplastic tips so you could put it on any threaded shifter. Dont put the plastic piece on the shifter and then install the knob. Put the plastic piece in the knob and then thread it onto the shifter. After it is on as far as it will go, pull up the shifter boot where it snaps into the console. Pull it up tight against the shift knob and put some electrical tape around the topmost part of the shifter just below the boot then fasten the boot back onto the console, and it will look mint and stay that way.

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
Ask and Ye shall receive....here is a pic of my MOMO Race Air shift knob. The thing about the momo's coming loose is due to bad installation...I havent had mine come loose once and I shift pretty hard at times when the syncros wanna throw a fit, main thing is to get the proper shim(plastic cap that goes over threads) and then make sure the shaft is centered when you tighten the set screws (and you really cant tighten to much, the allen wrench that comes with them will bend a lot when they are TIGHT enough) Also if you want to get a better look get the momo shift boot that actually has the part that screws onto the bottom of the shifters then you dont have to worry bout the boot falling down. I just use a zip tie to cinch mine up tight to the shifter a clip to hold that in place around the shifter so it dont slide up and down...

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, thanks for the tips and all guys.. I will try to work things out with this current one and my stock boot, but will also pick up a Momo Cobra (black leather) and a Momo shift boot just in case.

I will come back and post pix either way!

Az

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome dude, and that is the stock boot? I just ordered the black leather cobra and a momo boot, so hopefully mine looks nice as well.

Az

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JeffreyYoung said:

Yup..stock boot
Cool, thank you man! Looks nice by the way.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
red3kgtvr4 said:
I've got a Momo Combat with red metal insert. Never had it come loose. I also didn't use the little metal piece that goes right under the knob. I just liked the install better that way.

How did you secure it?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the zip tie idea is best, but the only ones I had long enough had MASSIVE buckles on them.. I will try to find some thin, long ones.

Thanks man!

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
Azaghal said:
I think the zip tie idea is best, but the only ones I had long enough had MASSIVE buckles on them.. I will try to find some thin, long ones.

Thanks man!
The ones that are 4" long X 1/8' wide are good for this and they dont have big buckles on them

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
mrsunshine said:
red3kgtvr4 - what is that thing in your pix? the arc 2 thingy i heard of it but i dont know what it does.. its look pretty cool tho
I'll answer that for ya...its a Fuel controller that can change the amount of air that the engines computer sees so you can run larger injectors...and the thing beside it is an ARM unit which gives the Air Fuel ratio from the O2 sensors...

Thats the same place I have my S-AFC as well :)

·
Just havin' fun!
1,151 Posts
MeTrzan said:
I'll answer that for ya...its a Fuel controller that can change the amount of air that the engines computer sees so you can run larger injectors...and the thing beside it is an ARM unit which gives the Air Fuel ratio from the O2 sensors...
Yep, it's my ARC2 and ARM1. Turned out pretty sweet I thought. I may be moving it beside one of my EGT gauges though. It'd be easier to keep an eye on stuff. I think Trevor has done the same thing.

Here's a pic of my full pillar triple pod.:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts