Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1994 Diamante LS 6G72 DOHC
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all
I know the TCs and 4th gear bands aren't the greatest on these cars. Does the shift kit cure/prevent some of that? The final gear seems like it stays out of lock-up for an absurdly long time. My Infiniti is in lock-up within 2-3 miles, my old Camry was maybe 4-5 on cold mornings, but this car is like 6-10 depending on the outside temp. I would think that's a lot of unnecessary wear/slip on the bands.
The 3-4 shift is a bit vague at low speeds around 30mph and <10% throttle. I usually give it the beans a little in third to keep it from banging/slipping into 4th.
Does the TransGo or TransLab kits get you into lock-up faster? Does it improve longevity?

I found this post from FixYa:
"there are 2 other problematic areas with this transmission as well as all Mitsubishi's,and that is the solenoids mounted on the valve body.The valve body is mounted inside the lower trans pan,and the solenoids on top of the valve body.They go bad on a regular basis,and i replace them ALL with brand new Rostra solenoids.The other problematic area is the 4th gear clutches,and the clutches and drum can be removed from the trans,and the trans doesnt have to be pulled for that.The 4th clutches and drum is located behind the side cover.They are very thin,and relatively small,and burn up easily."

Is this possible? If I had someone install the valve body mod, they could replace the band while the VB is out.

I am perfectly fine dropping $500-700 if it gets extra life out of it.

I am not looking for performance at all. Just reliability. This is my daily driver that I am keeping alive for as long as possible. Once I get some other small issues fixed, I'll start taking it to local cars & coffee meets since clean 1st gen Diamantes are so rare.

Thanks

· Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
4,368 Posts
I found this post from FixYa:
"there are 2 other problematic areas with this transmission as well as all Mitsubishi's,and that is the solenoids mounted on the valve body.The valve body is mounted inside the lower trans pan,and the solenoids on top of the valve body.They go bad on a regular basis,and i replace them ALL with brand new Rostra solenoids.The other problematic area is the 4th gear clutches,and the clutches and drum can be removed from the trans,and the trans doesnt have to be pulled for that.The 4th clutches and drum is located behind the side cover.They are very thin,and relatively small,and burn up easily."

Is this possible? If I had someone install the valve body mod, they could replace the band while the VB is out.
I personally haven’t heard of excessive problems concerning shift solenoids. Concerning the 4th gear end clutch, as far as I know there’s no band involved just clutch pack and seals. See below linked video.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts