Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Dayton and work in Cincinnati. I was just pulling onto I-71 North when I hear this awful sound, like a spring grinding in the front of the car, and lost power completely. "Sh*t" ... stopped on the side of the highway, and when I turn the car over ... no compression. Engine just turns over "zinggggggggg". Just then one of those "good samaritan" trucks that rove the highways pulled up behind me ... TOOLS!

I just changed my timing belt, so I took the front cover off ... it's fine, and turns with the starter. Pulled the oil cap and peered in with a flashlight ... there in the middle between the cams was a lifter! "Double Sh*t!"

Took the front bank valve cover off, and EVERY lifter from the Intake cam was laying loose on top of the head, and all 6 valves appear to be open (springs compressed) ... bent valves? "TRIPLE SH*T" Since I'm getting no compression, I can only imagine that the same or similar has happened on the rear bank too.

Thank God for AAA ... had it flatbedded 45 miles to my home. DOA. I think I'm gonna cry ... new timing belt et al, new paint ... it looks great, dead in my garage! Just shoot me now.

I don't know if I have piston damage. I'm trying to convince my Dad to come out from SF to help do the work ... he's recently retired, and bugging the crap out of my Mom ... shouldn't be a tough sell.

So, now I'm looking for a replacement motor. I've PMed some people in the PFS section, but not sure what might be the best route. Depending on condition of the pistons, might be okay to just rebuild the top half, but then again, the car does have 130k+ on it ... ahhhh SHIT. :mad:

Ah well, a beer, a good mindnumbing screw, and maybe things will look better in the morning. Hmmm, maybe I can convince the wife to let me get that Jeep I've been wanting as a winter drive, and work on this until spring. :p

Hope you all are having a better day!

Cheers! -- G

·
Whatever Man
2,678 Posts
Fuck, that sucks ass!!!

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,852 Posts
Greg....

That stinks.

Do you have a manual?

If not I can loan you my disk for a while.

Give me a scream on AIM....OhioSpyderman.

BTW, Im in Dayton too.

Biggest jobs Ive tackled have been brakes, tie rod ends and indiglo (ripped out the whole freaking dash/console).

Bob.

·
Registered
856 Posts
ouch - been there, i know, it sucks. Got 24 shiny new valves now tho :)

Good luck man!

.jon

·
13,852 Posts
Just thought I'd let you Ohio guys know...

There's a possibility that "Mr. Bill" may be swinging into Dayton on Saturday. If that happens, we may shoot down to Gregs and cry over a few beers.

I'll post again later when the plans unfold.

Bob.

·
13,852 Posts
Well....as I was writing the previous post....

Mr. Bill IM'd me.
We're ON!!!
Hes gonna be here NOONISH.
If anyone else wants to swing by, feel free.
We think we're gonna head down to Gregs at some point (if hes still up for it, that is).

Post or IM if you want to join the fun.

Bob.:)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Come one ...

Come all. Y'all are wlecome. (sorry, working so close to KY kinda gets to me.)

I'll be working on taking the car apart Saturday, but I'm always open to company!

See you then! -- G

·
Registered
155 Posts
Front bank...

it always seems to be that front bank people have trouble with. I think I bent a valve this morning. If its only the valves why replace the whole engine?...Jc

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish

This is defintely more than just the front bank. I have no compression at all, meaning the back bank is affected too. Besides, no telling what kind of bottom damage there is without taking it all apart, so it's easier and faster to get the car running by replacing the motor. I have a JSPEC on its way here now. Best part is that I can keep the old motor as a toy, maybe spend some time this spring taking it apart and rebuilding it. This will be a learning project, and I can then keep it as my NEXT replacement!

Hope your bent valve(s) are an easy fix. I'll post the results of my swapout some time after Christmas!

Good luck, and wish me same -- G

·
Registered
466 Posts
Re: I wish

gregmc said:
This is defintely more than just the front bank. I have no compression at all, meaning the back bank is affected too. Besides, no telling what kind of bottom damage there is without taking it all apart, so it's easier and faster to get the car running by replacing the motor. I have a JSPEC on its way here now. Best part is that I can keep the old motor as a toy, maybe spend some time this spring taking it apart and rebuilding it. This will be a learning project, and I can then keep it as my NEXT replacement!

Hope your bent valve(s) are an easy fix. I'll post the results of my swapout some time after Christmas!

Good luck, and wish me same -- G

Where did you get a JSpec??? I want to get one too.... how much is it?..... did they sell like half front cut off of the car???.. hit me back.. thnx...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
JSPEC

Hey YellowES, thanks! We'll have to get together after I'm done! I like your new sig picture. How does your cuz like the red R/T??

RsPeED, I bought it from a place in your neck of the woods and had it shipped to Ohio. The company is called J-SPEC and they are in Torrance. You can see their site at http://www.jspecjdm.com/. I paid $1150 + shipping for a DOHC NA. Not sure if they have the TT models in stock, but give 'em a call. I've heard prices around $2200-2500 for a TT. You can also get a number of other places that carry JSPEC motors of Stealth316's site http://www.stealth316.com/ in his "links" section.

I'll let you know if I'm impressed or not when I receive the engine. It is supposed to be delivered any day now. Even more, I'll be documenting as much of the swap as possible, and hope to have the work done by Christmas. Not sure how soon I'll have the web page done ... :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to this learning process. Wish me luck!

Cheers -- G

·
Registered
466 Posts
Re: JSPEC

gregmc said:
Hey YellowES, thanks! We'll have to get together after I'm done! I like your new sig picture. How does your cuz like the red R/T??

RsPeED, I bought it from a place in your neck of the woods and had it shipped to Ohio. The company is called J-SPEC and they are in Torrance. You can see their site at http://www.jspecjdm.com/. I paid $1150 + shipping for a DOHC NA. Not sure if they have the TT models in stock, but give 'em a call. I've heard prices around $2200-2500 for a TT. You can also get a number of other places that carry JSPEC motors of Stealth316's site http://www.stealth316.com/ in his "links" section.

I'll let you know if I'm impressed or not when I receive the engine. It is supposed to be delivered any day now. Even more, I'll be documenting as much of the swap as possible, and hope to have the work done by Christmas. Not sure how soon I'll have the web page done ... :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to this learning process. Wish me luck!

Cheers -- G

Damn website is down... thnx

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts