Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Trying to set the ignition timing on my 91 TT rebuild. According to the shop manual and Jeff's site, you pull the plug on the brown connector by the right shock tower and ground it to put the ECM into timing set mode. Then use the timing light to get things to about 5 degrees or so. When the wire is not grounded, you should see something like 15 degrees or so.

So, I went through this procedure. When the wire is NOT grounded, I see the timing mark around 5 degrees. When it IS grounded, I see the timing mark go to around 15. What is going on here?

This seems completely backwards to me. The car seemed to be way out of time and was 'gurgling' when I would let my foot off of the accelerator. I can't remember correctly but I think the timing was retarded past the 0 mark. I moved the CAS and put it at about 5 and it runs way better. This still doesn't explain why things seem backward regarding grounding the brown connector...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey all,

I found out the problem to this and here is what happened if anyone else runs into a similar situation.

My timing light has a dial on the back of it to adjust when the light fires. Mine was set to 60! No wonder everything was out of wack! When I set it to 0, everything worked as advertised in the manual and Jeff's site. A timing light that doesn't have a dialback should not exhibit these symptoms.

I set the timing to 5 degrees and now it purrs like it should.

Anyway, just thought I would add some closure here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts