Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, After reading an old post by JohnM, I went ahead and yanked off the Turbo intake lines, all of em hold vac, except for the part by the mas, it is gouged a little bit, but not much of a leak. I was checking the front turbo for play, had non, spun freely ETC ETC ETC. I went to the REAR turbo and it woudnt Spin. The previous owner had a ass backwards oil leak from the PCV system. My question to the 3s gods now is could that pcv system leaking oil everywhere end up being what caused my turbo to CROAK?? The intake line from where hte PCV joins the system was covered in oil. there is oil on the metal line coming fro mthe turbo to the intercoolers. Is it possable that this thing can be fixed? Or does it look like im gonna be vr-4less for a few months while i save up a few grand LOL...

So can anyone give me some options on what I can do? Keep in mind, I want whatever turbo that goes back in this car to last.

Could this also be the reason why my stock boost guage was reading 0 or maybe a tick mark above cause 1 turbo was movin???

Thanks in advance
- Grayson.

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
If you weren't holding boost to redline that is almost certainly your problem. I would think that if you replace that turbo with a rebuilt one (or rebuild that one - don't know how doable that is), make sure to replace the oil supply line (just in case it was clogged), and clean out or replace the drain line you would be OK.

The oil leaking @ the PCV could be excessive blow-by (bad seal @ rings), but you would most likely know b/c you would burn oil out the tailpipe.

You might just need a new PCV valve and/or hose. I want to go with silicone myself from hosetechniques.com and a Krankvent.

-Chris Wood

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
If the rear turbo is actually frozen and not rotating, that would be a huge restriction or possible leak. Usually when a turbo fails, the bearings go, some boost may be made, and oil will leak into the from the compressor side into the intercooler line and from the turbine into the exhaust. There will still be some boost. If one turbo is frozen, the boost the other turbo is trying to make would leak out past the frozen compressor wheel. There may also be oil leaking from the center bearing of the turbo into the intake tract towards the MAF when the air is being forced in that direction, nad the other way when there is air flowing in the normal direction.

I would replace/repair the rear turbo and replace the oil line, as already suggested. Clean the intake and intercooler lines and procede from there. You probably didn't get much oil into the intercooler. You had a odd failure.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im going to attach a few pictures. One of where one of the PCV lines attaches around the cam angle sensor, and another of the rear turbos IC Piping. You can see Dried oil on the rear IC Line, and also at the PCV Hose. All of the PCV hoses had oil in them and have turned hard.

I dont see how this could have happened just randomly, but my guess is just that alot of oil and such was leaked through the PCV System before I owned the car. Eventually made into a grime and other crap that eventually formed inside the turbos housing and made it seize.

Im wondering if it could have been an oiling problem also, On the highway while maintaining a speed of 70 in 5th gear the oil presure would be at the bottom LARGE tick mark. If i let off the throtle completely the oil presure would go 2 or 3 marks above that large Tick mark, to the middle. Now im looking at replacing the Turbo and Oil lines. Most likely im looking at a rebuild unless i can find reason not to. I need to read a bit more before I make up my mind completely, but I dont have much time.

My car doesnt smoke. Only when its freezing outside and its just warming up (NORMAL) or if I stomp it, which is just excess fuel being spewed out.

Any advice on rebuilt turbos and things like that would be GREATLY apreciated. Thanks alot guys.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
attachment #2. Rear Turbo IC Lines.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The pictures don't show a lot of oil, at least tat my tired old eyes can pick up. You said the turbos were replaced at 60K, were the oil lines replaced at that time. If they weren't, I'd replace the front line also, just to be safe.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the front turbo was a warentey replacement. Rear one is original.

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Same with me!

Hello fellow Texan :),
I had oil all over my rear turbo and tube also because of my PCV valve was bad. Although your rear turbo is seized :(. Mine is okay and spins fine. Heres a comparison picture of my front turbo compared to my rear.
My front turbo compared to my rear.
Sucks that its your rear turbo, its a PITA to pull that thing from what I hear! :(
Btw my turbos have 109k miles on them so im not sure what caused your rear one to go :(...
-Good luck!
:Edit: I eventually plan on buying a catch can to catch the oil so it doesn't blow back onto my turbo again. Especially if I get upgraded turbos! :)

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TTT
Can anyone give me some pros and cons of rebuilding my turbo

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Black1995GTBase,

Give Matt at Dynamic a call about rebuilding TD04's, he can be helpful in providing information so you can make a knowledgeable decision. He may even sell you turbos in the process :D .

Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welp, i got Westloop Mitsubishi to give me like 20% off.... And also a cut on labor. im looking at about a grand...

New Rear turbo
New Feed Lines
4 hours of labor.

At the same time they will be giving me a 1 year/12K warentee on the turbo :)

Looks to be my main route.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.