Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a quick fix for this problem?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sounds strange but try wiping some Armor-all on the seatbelts, it won't harm them and it works great! I had the same problem about a year ago and from the advice from someone here I tried the Amor-all fix and have had no problems with the seatbelts retracting since, just wipe them down every once in a while and you shouldn't have any problems. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Dave
'92 3000GT SL

·
Registered
64 Posts
seat belt MOD

I know that there is a way to trim the little plastic peice that prevents your seat belt from retracting correctly. I am sure if you do a search under seat belts, you will find much more info. Mine does the same thing and I will let you know if I find out anything.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I've read that before. Won't it get on your clothes though? Personally I don't want to come into work with a black wet patch across my shoulder smelling of Armor-All.
But my belt just started to really stick so I guess I'll do it. If I get laughed at though.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
Iguana trust me you won't get slimed by the armor-all, just spray a small amount onto a rag and wipe over the belt a few times and then wipe it down with a clean cloth. There is no greasy feel or armor-all smell after you put it on. Like I said it sounds wierd but it really does work! Good luck!

Dave
'92 3000GT SL

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
This better not be anything like the invisible golfish trick we all did at school.

"Honest, look in the bowl there's an invisible goldfish."
"I don't see any goldfi.FLUSH...."
He He He He Ha Ha Ha Ha.

·
Banned
10,940 Posts
I used something called "Black Magic" its similar to armor all. My drivers side belt that used to hang in the back seat what I was not in the car Nowe works fine.

I used white towel and the black magic.
This is what I did:
1) Spray the cloth
2) Pull the belt all of the way out.
3) Rub down the peice that the belt goes over.
4) Hold the cloth near the top of the belt and let the belt retract thru the cloth. (repeat until the belt moves preely)

Thats it :D

·
Fuddle-mental apparatus
1,067 Posts
About trimming the plastic piece-
Suthner has done that, it's the plastic piece that is mounted on the side above and behind the seat. The part that curls under has a habit of catching the belt, not allowing it to go all the back in. Suthner simply shaved that back a bit to allow free motion. He said it worked real well.
I use Black Magic on my belt and have had no trouble since I started. Nothing left on my clothes either.

·
I love the 1st gens..
2,282 Posts
Try the Armor-All. I can vouch for it. It actually works. Did it a couple of months ago.

·
2,994 Posts
Safty issue

Mine don't work either. I will try that armor all thing but someone once told me that the seat belts were a safty issure and that if you take it back to a dealer that they have to fix it for free.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
The pussification of America

You guys wear seatbelts? What a bunch of women!

I've seen two (actually, now with that Armour-All gag, three) distinct ways posted to solve this. One was long and tedious and I don't remember it, but the other, which may or may not be the SUTHNR method, was to use a razor blade to scrape off all the crap that builds up on the plastic shoulder hook where the belt makes contact and curls around it. The poster said that something on the seatbelt gets deposited on that hook every time the belt runs by it, and eventually there is enough build-up of whatever to clog the belt and stop it retracting.

This question comes up often enough that, if somebody cares to come up with a useful solution based on real life, let me know and I'll FAQ it.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
I have the pics of what to do in my archive at home. I'll make a note and upload them tonight and post a link. Then you can add them to your FAQ, Andrew. It's really not hard at all. Takes like 10 minutes tops to do both sides - just need an exacto or swiss army knife.

EricB

S

·
0 Posts
SUTHNER,

My seatbelt is not starting to get stuck so I decided to try your mod. I tried the ArmorAll trick but that didn't do it :( I was wondering, how did you ever remove that piece off of the seatbelt? I can't seem to get it off for the life of me. Thanks!

[Edited by Stunner on 12-21-2000 at 03:44 AM]

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
They piece just pops off. Normally you can pop it off with your hand.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Try a flathead screwdriver and insert it between the belt and plastic cover. It doesn't come completely off, but pops up and hinges at the top. Then you have to trim out the section while it's attached, then it pops back into place. It's actually pop/catches on the sides where it sorta wraps around the bar supporting the belt, thus don't cut all the way to the edges, only like the pictures show.

Good luck!
EricB

·
Registered
9 Posts
This posting is old, but can someone repost the pics from Suthnr, concerning this issue. I am currently experiencing this issue and really don't want to do the armorall temp fix. Thanks!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts