Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well as many of you may have heard I went to put on new shocks and struts this past weekend and got nowhere because carparts.com sent me the wrong models. Well now thats taken care of but I had to put it back together till the new stuff comes. Well since I did this the steering is really strange. The steering wheel is cocked toward the left a little and the car pulls to the right. Also when I'm at highway speeds, usually 75mph, it feels like I have no control over the car at all and it is really squirrelly. Anyone who knows how to allign the front end please let me know cause it sux ass driving it like this. Thanks alot
Mike 92 R/T

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I can offer no answer just support. I have part of your problem but at higher speeds it corrects itself. My steering wheel is cock-eyed left and pulls right. I have had 2 alignments and still does the same.
Beginning to think she was in a wreck and didn't tell me!

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Take your car to a good alignment shop and have them do a proper 4 wheel alignment. Have them print before readings, spec readings, and what your readings are after the alignment. You have gotten your camber adjusters dialed in wrong- causing your wheels to tilt in or out too much fron their vertical axis through the spindle and probably have your toe adjustment way out of whack- the direction your tires are pointing, which also affects your cars centerline- setting your steering wheel straight. Not 100% accurate my description but I have tried to simplify.
By asking for printout keeps tech doing a proper alignment because he/she knows that you may have other person look at readings.
Hope this helps,
Steve

·
Registered
206 Posts
Had that drift to my car and just had the struts replaced and the four wheel alignment done... car is now straight as an arrow and can take bumps without feeling like I'm driving a tank. Have you checked the control arms for play. If there's a little play, I think you might get some drift.

Rob

·
Registered
321 Posts
Try checking your springs to mack sure they are seated correctly. Had same problem with another car, it turned out that one of the front springs was sitting a little cocked. As long as when you took off the orig. springs you did not adjust camber or toe, installing the orig. springs should put you back to normal.

Just a thought.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did install the stock springs but I think that the camber adjuster bolts on the spindle are in the wrong position. I need to try and allign this myself a little bit anyone know the basics of this?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is very important that you have to MARK the upper strut housing and the mounting base prior you disassemble the strut, this will help the front end alignment a whole lots. However, replace the front struts is required an alignment due the difference conditions between olds and news struts and the works also effected to alignment setup. I have had the same problem(slightly pulled to the right and steering wheel felt to the left) after replaced struts and shocks. Got an alignment from Sears, everything works just fine.
Don94

1 - 8 of 8 Posts