Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

221 - 237 of 237 Posts

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Update - Josh has emailed me the following:

Got the heads off, they had pretty big bows and could see the coolant passing over to the oil. Looks like the motor has got hot previously as there are also some small bore marks that support this. The remainder looks good, the rear turbo is a PITA to get off and I would recommend we make some small alterations to plumbing designs for reliability moving forward – as everything

We have the heads at the machine shop and they have now been prepared, overhauled, and ready for refitment.

Further to your head gaskets, we have organised some parts from Mitsubishi. I’ve bought these and I have also got some ARP head studs on the way. The head studs are nearly double the price of the OEM head bolts however with a boosted application and obviously wanting to do this once, I consider them a wise investment.

So it's getting closer. :)

·
Australia
1,841 Posts
Log back on here after going AWOL for 6 years to find your car is still not running! hurry up Scotty geez

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
might be worth asking what exactly they did in the overhaul
Valve stem seals
Cut valves into seats (reseat)
Face
Pressure test
Acid bath
Check hardness
Check and replace guides as required

Both heads were bowed as well and I was told the engine had run too hot at some stage and that's why there was coolant in the oil filter...

Log back on here after going AWOL for 6 years to find your car is still not running! hurry up Scotty geez
Yeah I know.... Soon fingers crossed.

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Yet another lame ass update - went and saw the shop the other day. The radiator I bought didn't bolt straight in but that's been sorted. Had to buy a slimline fan as one of the fans was too close to the turbo. Fingers crossed that comes in tomorrow and maybe she gets turned over this weekend.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Yet another lame ass update - went and saw the shop the other day. The radiator I bought didn't bolt straight in but that's been sorted. Had to buy a slimline fan as one of the fans was too close to the turbo. Fingers crossed that comes in tomorrow and maybe she gets turned over this weekend.
Best of luck for the weekend Scotty.
If I got to wait another ten years to see you driving it I'll be seventy.
Damn, I hope I make it !!

·
Marshall Taylor
1,091 Posts
You may need to wrap the manifold and use a Turbo Turbine Housing blanket. It would be a shame to melt the slimline fan unit.

Good luck,

Marshall

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Happy to provide some TD04 bolt on's for a swap if you get problems :p

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
hmmm the heads were warped... damn

what radiator was it?

did they do the head lift fix?

https://www.3si.org/forum/f1/head-lift-fix-361727/
Ebay radiator. No they didn't. I really have no idea how or why the heads were warped. I mean I couldn't really push it. And there were no symptoms while it was actually driving that there were any problems.

Best of luck for the weekend Scotty.
If I got to wait another ten years to see you driving it I'll be seventy.
Damn, I hope I make it !!
Hang in there John. 2019 is my year. :D

You may need to wrap the manifold and use a Turbo Turbine Housing blanket. It would be a shame to melt the slimline fan unit.

Good luck,

Marshall
Cheers Marshall... Hoping to get away with no wrapping. Will see how it goes.

Happy to provide some TD04 bolt on's for a swap if you get problems :p
Hahaha - I bet you do! :p

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Got an email late last night - the girls up and running. They washed and cleaned her as well as drove her to the petrol station for guzoline. Apparently the Precision 880cc injectors (low impedance) I was running were no good for my new ecu so he threw in some spare GTR injectors (high impedance) and she runs so much better now. I feel like my girl is very close to being back in my arms..... I mean in the driveway. I said driveway.

·
Marshall Taylor
1,091 Posts
Got an email late last night - the girls up and running. They washed and cleaned her as well as drove her to the petrol station for guzoline. Apparently the Precision 880cc injectors (low impedance) I was running were no good for my new ecu so he threw in some spare GTR injectors (high impedance) and she runs so much better now. I feel like my girl is very close to being back in my arms..... I mean in the driveway. I said driveway.
Congratulations Scotty!

As the song goes: "It's been a long long road with many a winding turn".

Marshall

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Good news !!
Picture required,- You, driving, background needs to be blurred.

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Congratulations Scotty!

As the song goes: "It's been a long long road with many a winding turn".

Marshall
Cheers Marshall.... I'll be thrilled once I have the car. It's been so close for a while now.....

Good news !!
Picture required,- You, driving, background needs to be blurred.
Bg probably won't be too blurry as I'll need to just take things easy to start with..... I'll just use photoshop. ;)

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I come back after all this time and I read "Scotty's car is running AND driving" Am I on the right forum? LOL
Jokes aside, congratulations mate! It's well deserved! Looking forward to the vids, pics and meets!

221 - 237 of 237 Posts