Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after about a 45 minute drive I noticed I had a very loud ticking noise coming from my car (96 SL). It sounded a lot like the lifter tick I had before I had the 3rd gen lifter installed but instead it's only coming from the front right of the engine. In the video I have you can hear the usual quiet lifter tick as well as this very loud ticking noise. The ticking doesn't persist 100% of the time, it sometimes happens at idle and sometimes happen under load. It goes away above 2500 RPM but otherwise increases in frequency with RPM up until 2500 then it disappears and sounds normal. I know this isn't rod knock or a spun bearing, or it would sound like that all the time (or at least I'm hoping it isn't). I haven't had a chance to open up the valve cover or take a look at anything, just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what to look for.

Had to upload a YouTube video, for some reason this website doesn't like video files.

·
Lovbyts
4,164 Posts
Sounds a little hollow. Like mentioned above take off your timing belt covers and make sure something isn't hitting the cam gears or pully. After that take the valve cover off and see if Allister came detached.

Reactions: Chang oil

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I got the timing cover and everything apart to take a look and I think the belt tensioner failed. This is really odd to me since I just did a new timing belt + tensioner and water pump about 2K miles ago, all parts were OEM from 3SX. I attached a few pictures to get a second opinion but to me it looks like all the hydraulic pushed out of the tensioner as there is a grey liquid sitting on top of it. I've got another tensioner laying around so it's no problem replacing just wondering if this one can be saved. Thanks again!

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,771 Posts
This is really odd to me since I just did a new timing belt + tensioner and water pump about 2K miles ago, all parts were OEM from 3SX.
Yeah that's a wasted tensioner, fluid leaked out and mixed with metal powder from pounding bracket of pulley. BUT you sure about OEM from SX, because all I see on their site is NON-OEM kit (see below).

·
Premium Member
1994 3000GT VR4
1,079 Posts
What tensioner would y'all recommend or go with yourselves these days? OEM, Gates, or solid tensioner? Considering a solid tensioner, but I don't mind adjusting it as the belt wears/stretches. Haven't read up on them, honestly.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,771 Posts
What tensioner would y'all recommend or go with yourselves these days? OEM, Gates, or solid tensioner? Considering a solid tensioner, but I don't mind adjusting it as the belt wears/stretches. Haven't read up on them, honestly.
OEM tensioner only, like from a Mitsubishi parts dealer (part# MD319040). Cherry Hill Mitsubishi (link below) is one with reasonable factory parts pricing, and I’ve seen them list a kit on Ebay before. Edit: Oops; I now see that OEM tensioner is no longer available from Cherry Hill Mitsubishi, not sure what to suggest now!:unsure:

Also, recommend new trensioner bolt as suggested by @Steve ‘93ES below.

The main problem with solid tensioner is’t only adjusting for belt wear, but that it can’t compensate for engine expansion from cold to warm. Which one of our more knowledgeable members @RealMcCoy points out when he said “Since I was taking pics for this I thought I'd also demonstrate just how much these things move around as the engine warms up... If you've never observed it or thought about it, I think you'll be amazed. (This is also why I won't run a solid tensioner)” in link below when discussing his tensioner washer mod.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah that's a wasted tensioner, fluid leaked out and mixed with metal powder from pounding bracket of pulley. BUT you sure about OEM from SX, because all I see on their site is NON-OEM kit (see below).

Fairly sure it was OEM. My timing belt says Mitsubishi all over it along with the part number so I'm confident that is OEM. 3SX also does sell a OEM 60K kit and I remember being upset having to spend $600 on it but I can't find a reciept anywhere.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,771 Posts
Fairly sure it was OEM. My timing belt says Mitsubishi all over it along with the part number so I'm confident that is OEM. 3SX also does sell a OEM 60K kit and I remember being upset having to spend $600 on it but I can't find a reciept anywhere.
OK.... You might have got one of the last OEM kits, but if the OEM tensoner failed that quick makes me now wonder about their present day reliability. Especially since I just realized today that Cherry Hill Mitsubishi is no longer selling them. :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks like 3SX still has the OEM 60K kits in stock. Although I did not see it listed for individual sale, 3SX should have a hydraulic tensioner available. Call them and see if they can help to source a new tensioner. And how did that motor not jump timing if the belt seemed that it was about to fall off?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this same exact thing happen to me a few weeks ago. after the same number of miles and everything. Though the tensioner that failed was non-oem, i was able to buy a new oem tensioner from 3sx then for 180$

17,870 Posts
Personally I could recommend one of our solid tensioners.

3000GT / Stealth DOHC 6G72 Solid Timing Tensioner – R'venge Performance (rvengeperformance.com)

I have personally put a number of miles on these and not really found them to need adjustment. The timing belts are fiberglass re-infoced and really don't stretch.

The chance of failure from a relaxed hydraulic unit or a broken one is too high for me personally after seeing so many.

They are a little bit harder to set the tensioner properly, but the nice thing is if you make a small hole in your lower cover you can reach up and adjust them without really removing anything.

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,191 Posts
I would go with Gates for (OEM) look ....or a solid tensioner from Rvenge
In all honesty.... depends on how much your really Driving it Driving it..... if ya know what I mean...... that would be solid tensioner all day long

1 - 17 of 17 Posts