Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I got a PM from a new member here sending me an email to a person who has the exact part I have listed on wanted section. When I contact the email, he only would take payments by Venmo even though I offered extra $$ for paypal since I didn’t want to sign up for another thing. Then his name doesn’t match the payment name etc. Of course, it’s a sold out item, and I really want it but the name mismatch is holding me back. I don’t know why he demands Venmo of all things. Never even heard of it until this thing happened...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a wanted classifed for a 3000gt vr4 emblem. I wouldn’t think something like that could be a scammer...

·
Obsessive Carpolsive
2,081 Posts
I got a PM like that when my seats were for sale too :unsure:

·
Marshall Taylor
1,117 Posts
Hi guys, I got a PM from a new member here sending me an email to a person who has the exact part I have listed on wanted section. When I contact the email, he only would take payments by Venmo even though I offered extra $$ for paypal since I didn’t want to sign up for another thing. Then his name doesn’t match the payment name etc. Of course, it’s a sold out item, and I really want it but the name mismatch is holding me back. I don’t know why he demands Venmo of all things. Never even heard of it until this thing happened...
I suggest you run. Don't walk.

Marshall

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn. I feel like an idiot. Glad it wasn’t for a turbo or something more expensive but I assumed a PM from another member would be trustworthy. Lesson learned here. Is there any way to report this to a moderator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Damn. I feel like an idiot. Glad it wasn’t for a turbo or something more expensive but I assumed a PM from another member would be trustworthy. Lesson learned here. Is there any way to report this to a moderator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They won't be of any real help.... There's a reason you have to be verified to sell in the classifieds. Doesn't take much info to become a member, and there's no guarantee of trustworthiness simply by having a username. Admins can however ban the offender, as they clearly circumvented the forum rules of selling by what they did. (if you read through the rules, you'll see that buyers are specifically cautioned against falling for this very thing...)

You can post up a warning in the buyer/seller ratings forum... Call out the member for being the scammer that they are. the admins will most likely ban them once they look into it.

No help for you though, as you didn't protect yourself, and the scammer is most likely a ghost...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Yep, i got the same email. I noticed they joined then immediately sent me a message with no other activity that day or following days. They also took the exact name from the thread title and used it as the pm title and used the full name when describing it in the pm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts