Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my 1993 3000 gt SL died on the way home from work one evening. I had it towed and found out that the radiator had somehow been leaking into the transmission. After getting an estimate on the fix costs I found out that the transmission could not be rebuilt and that it had to be replaced. The total cost to get the car fixed was estimated at $3400.00. I had it estimated at 2 different places and they both said the same thing so i know i wasnt getting a line of B.S. from the dealership. My car had 115K miles on it and was in pretty good condition. I owed $3,000.00 on my car at the time it died. After contemplating what I should do, I finally decided to buy a brand new vehicle.. I felt it was the best decision since the interest rates are low and I wasnt sure if my car was truly worth fixing and paying off. (not to mention my discount from Sprint) That would have cost close to $6,400.00.

I went ahead and payed off the 3000 GT so I own it now.
Now I have a car I dont know what to do with. Does anyone have any suggestions about the GT..?
Right now, it still needs a tranny and a radiator.

I was thinking of selling it to a salvage yard for about $3,000.00.
But im not real certian if I am asking for too much for it, or maybe not enough. I recently bought 4 new tires that cost roughly 700 dollars for the vehicle.... Im sure the salvage yards would put that into consideration. And the body is in ALMOST mint condition. I doubt I would get extra for the racing stripes, stereo, and the tinted windows.
I am living in the Kansas City area, and i would like to get some help with my big decision. I want to get the most money out of it that I possibly can.....
Any help for my big decision would be greatly appreciated! I hate to part from the GT SL but thats life I guess.

Thanks in advance!

·
Here Since 2000
3,707 Posts
What color is it and how the hell does coolant get into your transmission???? Unless of course it is right there where the thermostat is. If it is big deal buy anew thermostat housing and gaskets. See if that stops it for you. If this is where it is leaking chances are very minimal amount of coolant is leaking into your tranny and if it is it will be in the bell housing of your tranny and will just leak right back out through the bottom of the bellhousing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What color is what? The car is black w/ silver stripes. I was also wondering how the radiator leaked into the transmission. But the guys that quoted my car also mentioned something about antifreeze and another part that was cracked. It's too late now to stop the leak.. The car is not drivable. Apparently the inner core of the Transmission rusted because of the leaks. There is no doubt that both the transmission and the radiator need to be replaced. Also the other part that was cracked, but i dont remember what that was. All I really heard from the guy was "blah, blah, blah, its gonna cost you 3400 dollars to fix."
And now I have a car that isnt drivable and i dont really know what to do with it.

I will try to find out a little later what exactly made me have to get a new transmission. I will post that information when i get it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
is it 5spd or automatic?

is the title clean right now?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well, if you have a garage and are at all handy around vehicles, you could part it out. You’ll probably get more then $3000 that way. You’ll also know a lot more about cars when you’re done. Just look here

http://www.3si.org/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=18

And see what people are buying and selling and how much they are asking. Hell, I’m looking for an exhaust tip and a powered antenna. I’m sure you’ll have no problem making money on this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what the the guy i was with got out of the conversation with the car dealers.
He said something like the coolant pipes running into transmission from either the radiator itself or the engine core were leaking for a while. They are usually copper pipes and any leak or corrosion would let water and antifreeze try to mix with transmission fluid (like oil). and water don't mix, water doesn't belong in tranny case. I think it rusted also.

This is what my friend got out of the conversation... I dont really know enough about it to know for sure.
Hope this helps with anyone that was wondering. But i still dont know what to do with my car.
I can try to post pics of it but i dont have them here and would have to post those tomorrow. Its a pretty sharp looking with the stripes and all.

Thanks for the advise Cameron. I dont really have a garage for the car but im sure i could find one. It does have a power antenna also.. But i havent decided to sell it by the parts at the moment so i can really help you on that yet..
Thanks again.

·
Detroit RiceCop
659 Posts
How did it die? The engine stopped turning? Or did the gears stop changing? What happens when the car is in nuetral? That's too wierd.

Anyways, if they tranny is bad, then do a search on www.woodfins.com. You can get a used one for less than $1800 man. When I did a search for 93' I didn't get a result, but I got results for 91' and 92'. Play around with the years, you can find different prices but most are well under $2000.

If you shop around, you can find someone to put it in for under $300 I'm sure. To save cash, you may try taking out the old one yourself, just be gental with the CV joints.

Dude, if it can all be done for about $2000, then I think it's worth it. You can then sell it for 6k if you don't want it. Plus, salvage yards wont give you much for it. Parting out takes time and packaging, but can get you back the most dough.

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
I may be interested in your car.....i live in Columbia Missouri, just 2 hours east of you, when you come up with a set price let me know...please email me, i have been looking for a christmas present for my little brother.
thanks
[email protected]
Jesse Buxton

(I bought my 92vr4 from ohio and towed it home too)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the engine never stopped running. It just wouldnt move when I push on the gas. I never tried nuetral. The RPM's would rev up but the car wouldnt go anywhere. Those are some great ideas.. Thanks for your help klamathpro. Its just another reason that makes these forums such great tools. That might be the best options at the moment.
I will look around and see what I can do. Maybe I should just buy an old tranny and have it installed. Then i can sell the car for more. I will check out that link also.

Thanks again to everyone, the help is greatly appreciated.
I've got some things to work with now, so i can get it done....

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
also, check out the "parts for sale" classifieds on this forum, you may find a FWD tranny for sale for cheap

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey pooty - I sent you an email. If you could find a tranny I bet dave and I could probly help you get it put in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
FRESH TRANS $600 PLUS S/H

POOTY, I EMAILED YOU THE DETAILS ON THIS TRANS. IT IS READY TO INSTALL. WE ARE IN MONTANA SO CHECK ON SHIPPING COSTS. OUR ZIP IS 59102 $600 PLUS S/H. I ALSO HAVE A RADIATOR IF YOU NEED IT. THANKS JH IN MONTANA. [email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for your help..
I ended up selling the vehicle to someone who was willing to fix it themselves.
I wanted to get the burden off my chest and i needed the cash so that I could get mods for my new vehicle.

I suppose i could have fixed the car with old parts and sold it for more than i did, but I just wanted to get it over with and i wanted the quick cash for my new car mods.

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
and ya couldnt wait 2 hours to sell it to me...:p
j/k
I got the ok from my father about 15 min before you emailed me, i was in the process of checking my spening account balance, which was like 3300$ which i could have spent on the car when you told me you sold it.
-Jess

1 - 16 of 16 Posts