Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just noticed after wal-mart changed my oil, that i bought valvoline vr-1 racing oil. the weight is sae 50. thats all it says on it. is this oil bad for my car?? if it is i will change it tomorrow. i was in a rush the other day, and grabbed the wrong oil, im an idiot. it is suppposedly racing oil or sumthin.

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
No, it won't hurt anything. Just takes a little longer to circulate through the engine when you start it up. Not the best choice to use in cold weather.

Put a couple hundred miles on it and it will be 10w to 20w anyway as it breaks down.

I used to have an old ford truck with baaaad compression and lots of leaks, I always used 50 or even 70 weight in that thing. It was the only stuff that would last anytime at all. That was hardly a race engine :D :D But the heavy oil likely added several thousand miles to it's life.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
><i>Put a couple hundred miles on it and it will be 10w to 20w anyway as it breaks down.</i>

I'm certainly not a petroleum expert, but I hope you aren't either. This is the first time I've ever heard this theory, and I wouldn't mind hearing some facts to back it up.

Until then - Illinois in the winter is not a good place to run straight 50 weight. When it's cold out, your stone-cold engine is going to gouge itself to death every time you start it up, until the oil finally warms up and flows freely.

For the sake of a few bucks, versus engine damage, drain it out and stick 10W-30 in there.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i think ill do that. i had some rislone put in there also, but the lifter tick has gotten worse, it never goes away. before it would come and go, but now it is always there, whether the car is warm or cold. i think im gonna go right now and change it. thanx, man

1 - 4 of 4 Posts