Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
I had to take my car to the shop today. Having idling problems. When I start it, it idles kinda low now (around 500rpms). If I punch the gas when it's somewhat cold, the rpm's drop to about 100 (almost stalling) and then climb back up. Last night, the car started after cranking around 10 times; afterwhich, it sounded really rough. Funny thing, it started fine this morning.

Any ideas folks?

Bomber.
'94 Stealth R/T

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
Sounds like the computer is getting comfused about something. Have you tried changing you O2 censors or cheking for air leaks like at the Y pipe intake? Mine idles really low sometimes and will stall but once I get on it a little it seem to be ok. I can't just rev it I have ot actualy drive it but it only takes a couple of secounds. I think it might have something to do with the MAS or idle sensor. Yeah I know a lot of guessing but I have not fixed mine either. It only does it once in a while. Please let us know what you find. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Mostly a typical leak in the intake trakt like a loose hose at the BOV or so. This is when the metered air is not the same that enters the plenum. Could also be the MAS

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Just a comment for everyone responding...

R/T = no y-pipe

I'm curious for some responses here too, cuz mine's had a little bit of a cold lately in that it's a little stuttery around the 2500rpm mark, still has perfect response when I'm accelerating, just when I'm maintaining a speed at about 2500rpm every once in a while it'll stutter a bit, not a real hesitation. Odd and very subtle. Mitsu looked at it and couldn't find anything.

EricB

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
I don't understand where you got your information from. I have a 91 Stealth RT
It says RT all over the car. Granted it is a RT TT. I just figured he might not be putting in the TT because I know I don't allways post it. Anyways, if you don't have a Y pipe just ignore that part of the advise.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
.. but even then the blck rubber snorcel could be loose or just not be wel connected to the TB !

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would have reset the ECU first (disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour to be sure). Then start the car with no AC, no stereo, no headlights on etc and let it self learn. If it does the same problem (low idle) then definate problems like a blown off hose or something... I'm kinda wary of taking my car in to get fixed since there's no mits dealerships in Canada and Chrysler mechanics know less than I do about Stealths...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Folks,
Turns out it was the throttle position sensor. It was set really low. It's supposed to be set @ something like 12-14%.

Bomber.
'94 Stealth R/T

1 - 9 of 9 Posts